Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To TV license or not to TV license

Options
  • 09-11-2004 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

just wanted to get some views on this....

1. rented accom
    2. TV was already here...

where does one stand if a knock comes to the door? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

normally in the doorway....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

yes i suppose after reading my post again i had that one coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

yes, yes you did. But anyway, just contact your landlord and find out the arrangement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

here are my views

1. it's the law
    2. pay like everyone else

answer the door when someone knocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

In the dock? :D ... or you could just pretend not to be in... Next day leg it to the GPO perhaps. I've actually done this.

(Think I was followed by the licence people when I left Power city or something.... I got away with it for at least an hour though :p )

Personally I'd do it again. I was unlucky :eek: though I do know people who have got away with it for years :cool:

Above all else - remember what you're paying for- RTE! When you own your own place and they have you by the short & curlies, and you're not about to sell. Then perhaps. You'll make everyone pay more as result.

How can I morally justify this? I can't!

By not paying your TV licence you are not endangering anyone's life (except maybe Pat Kenny's holiday in Barbados!) . By paying it only when you get an "inspector called card", you are saving yourself money, by being a sponger.

This is the same as the driving test - they don't have enough of them more are needed. Knowing this and human nature, paying for a TV licence up front makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

In England if the License people call around, they are not allowed to enter the premises. If it's the same in Ireland say it's not suitable for them to come in, and they'll have to get a warrent. Then boot to the Post Office, it'll look suspect but at least you'll get away with it. You could, which would look less suspect, just move the TV out of the House for a few days then when they come back act the fool. move the TV back in, buy a license they're none the wiser.

Pity, if I don't get a TV License I get sacked from the BBC, so I have to :(

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

just wanted to get some views on this....

1. rented accom
    2. TV was already here...

where does one stand if a knock comes to the door? :)

If you mean, who's responsible for paying it? It's down to the occupant of the house. If you live there, you have to pay it. Like everyone else said though.. wait untill you really have to. Tell them you just moved in, but you'll sort it out asap.

Paying for RTE = Insult.

FFS.. I saw a bit of 'The Dinner Party' last night. Biggest bucket of borrox I've ever seen. I instantly wanted to kill them all!!!
    I saw 'Stew' the other night aswell.. WTF!?!? It's not funny, doesn't even appear as if it's trying to be funny.. Pay for this tripe???

:rolleyes:

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Havnt you guys ever seen the ads!

Apparently you can tell any sort of lie to your girlfriend and she'll believe you bar the fact that if you lie to her bout having a T.v licence she'll dump you at the drop of a hat!Very serious matter so pay your licence! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Stop calling it a TV licence. It's a TV TAX. :mad: Licence implies something which needs controlling like guns or dogs. If the govt thinks RTE is worth having (start whole new thread here) then it should pay for it from general taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Chill ay!

been calling it licence for years!....call it force of habit!....besides, tax is a more depressing word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

they do normally give you a few days grace to get one, then they send out a warning letter, then a solicitors letter! its at this point I would def get it!!! So its not an automatic fine the day they knock on your door - although they tried to cart some poor 8 month pregnant woman off to mountjoy for 14 days last week even though she had a license but they sent the summons to wrong address.

once they have you for license very difficult to escape it, I was 2 weeks late paying for mine when due for renewal and got a solicitors letter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

id go with the just moved in option tbh!!! that shoujd buy you some time but in all fairness dont get it until they come looking for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Got "the knock" on monday, which was fortunate as we only got the license about a month ago. The bloke doing the actual checking wasn't that thorough though. Conv went like this

TV Guy: Hi, Im from An post and I'm just checking TV Licenses in the area, which apartment are you from?

(We have a communal front door and he was just going down pressing all the buttons till somebody came down)

Me: Four
    TV: And your name is?
    Me: Chris McDonald
    TV: Hmmmmmmm (checks list on clipboard) you just moved in?
    Me: Noooo, been here about 18 months.
    TV: Well we have *some other bloke* for that apartment
    Me: Well I got the license a couple of months ago, they mispelt my name though so it says Chris O'Donnell.
    TV: Ah righto, here you are, cheers.
    Me: Do you not need to see it or anything?
    TV: Nah your allright I'll just change your name for this other bloke.
    Me: Righto, eh cheers then.
    TV: Cheers

I had the impression that If I didn't have one he'd just have told me to get one for next time, didn't seem to pushed at all.

Ah well at least my workmates wont slag me now and my Mum wont take my tea off me.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

in reality if you got got for not paying your licence, and told someone, they wouldn't think your a loser, it would more likely be along the lines of "those nazi backstards! how dare they make you pay for RTE!"

tba wrote:
    in reality if you got got for not paying your licence, and told someone, they wouldn't think your a loser, it would more likely be along the lines of "those nazi backstards! how dare they make you pay for RTE!"

Precisely. And I wonder if RTE screened those 'actors' for TV Licenses before making the ads hmm??

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

mp3guy wrote:
    normally in the doorway....
    LOL

We have the same problem, we moved in and there was a tv. The obligation to have a tv license is with you, but if your landlord has one already then you don't need to do anything. We have been contacted about the tv license and were told this, so its the gospel according to te tv license dude.

Generally there's not much they can do if they can't get in....... I'm not condoning mot having a license but fire escapes are handy for more things than escaping fires :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Just curious about this but what is the legal standpoint whereby you have a tv, but have no rte ariels etc. in the house, and all that is connected to the tv is sky digital?

Do you still have to pay the license and in essence pay for a service that your not using?
    It'd be like going to the petrol station throwing €10 into your car but getting charged €16 because they have a car wash service there....but ya did'nt use it.

Eye wrote:
    Do you still have to pay the license and in essence pay for a service that your not using?
    It'd be like going to the petrol station throwing €10 into your car but getting charged €16 because they have a car wash service there....but ya did'nt use it.

Yeah you still have to pay..
    Basically, if you have a tv set that is capable of picking up a reception in some way, then you must pay for a licence.

Great isn't it!

can you buy a tv that cannot pickup reception? lol

hmmmm me think's 21" monitor and sky digital might work with the right connections ;) now there's a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Yeah you still have to pay..
    Basically, if you have a tv set that is capable of picking up a reception in some way, then you must pay for a licence.

Great isn't it!

its worded something to the effect that if you have 'aperatus' (sp?) that can be operated as a television then you are liable. A good few people I know are also under the (wrong) impression that you must have a license per TV set.

Had my head wrecked about this as have about 3 TV's and wanted me to spend €456 on 3 licenses!

A call to an post soon proved this was wrong (hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Eye wrote:

hmmmm me think's 21" monitor and sky digital might work with the right connections ;) now there's a thought
    Still need a license. In fact if your computer has a tv card, which alot of new computers do you need to buy a license for it. It sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Apparently you can tell any sort of lie to your girlfriend and she'll believe you bar the fact that if you lie to her bout having a T.v licence she'll dump you at the drop of a hat!Very serious matter so pay your licence!

Those adds are the worst i have ever seen ! The fact that my Tv licence fee in some way contributes to the making of such rubbish makes to want to pay it even less !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Eye wrote:

The wording is along the lines of a device capable of receiving Television signal, includes, TV and PC tuner cards etc.

and they do count a sat tuner for pc's as one, and ur Sky box is, also, subject to the the reg's. sorry.

what a rip off, can add that to the very long list of things that i hate about this country *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is the same as the driving test - they don't have enough of them more are needed.

Is there a provisional TV Licence? Is the test very hard? I saw a test card once but I'm not sure what it was about.
    I was thinking of taking up TV watching. Maybe just start off with something small say a 14" portable ( low insurance I hope). I already have a baseball cap with "Sony" on the front so as I get more confident I might try a Sony flat screen They look quite good. Any advice on modding etc? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i dont have a tv in my apartment. but there is a chorus cable socket there, and the other apartments have chorus[we dont] do i need a licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

no tv and no beer make smak something something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Of course how easy would it be for them to prove you have a tv tuner in your PC especially if you've a laptop? Quick removal and you're sorted. Bit difficult shifting that 42" tv though. I'd rather pay the fee then pay a chiropractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Eye wrote:
    what a rip off, can add that to the very long list of things that i hate about this country *sigh*

UK is very similar laws, in fact, last time I was in B'ham and tried to buy a pc tv tuner they refused to sell it to me without me giving an address and a postcode. I gave them my sis's details,and they even sent a letter to me at that address wondering where my license was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I got a letter from them last week, informing me that I need a licence for my new address and that they are now visiting unlicensed households in my area. As my new address currently consists of nothing more than foundations and a shed, I think they have some cheek. By a happy coincidence I have an old Sony 27” screen in the shed, which looks for all the world like a TV but has no tuner. I happily await their visit.

Personally I’d rather spend €152 on sex toys for the Christian Brothers than give it to RTE.

Advertisement