Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port forwarding problems...

Options
  • 10-11-2004 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

OK recently got iol broadband with the zytel prestige modem and on the same day got my delivery of a Dlink dl-624 wireless router and 2 dlink pcmcia cards.

Anyways setup everything and after a few minutes fiddling about got the connection setup as follows.

Modem > (ethernet connection) > Wireless Router > PC (ethernet connection)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laptop 1 (wireless pcmcia card)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laptop 2 (wireless pcmcia card)

Now everything works pretty alright apart from slowish network speeds, internet works grand on all said machines, however i'm trying to use a program on Laptop 1 that needs ports forwarded. This is where i run into problems, no matter what way i try to set things up i keep getting NAT errors with this program.

So far i have tried forwarding the ports from the router to laptop 1, then i tried forwarding from the modem to Laptop 1, tried forwarding from both modem and router to the laptop's ip address, next i tried forwarding from modem to the router and from router to laptop 1. no combination of settings seem to be working, i've been in various sites and they all tell me how to setup the modem to port forward or how to setup the router to forward em, but dont seem to be able to find anything about running the dsl modem into the router and how it should be configured.

All said machines are running Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and i have setup a rule on laptop 1 to allow the ports through. Anyone got any ideas? Am i doing it all arseways or simply overlooking something simple? Any help greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

thanks moriarty, was'nt sure where the best place was for it :)

I should probably also mention that all machine have been assigned static ip addresses. and that usually whatever combination of settings i try results in knocking out either the internet connection, or sometimes the lan connection for laptop 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

two options:
    i recon you need two external ip addresses.
    one on the adsl modem and one on the router.

setup the adsl modem as a bridge. this will send all traffic to the router, basically taking the dsl modem out of the equation and allowing the use of only one external ip address on the router.

im pretty sure you can setup the zyxel (sp?) as a bridge fairly easily, but you may need to call support. sometimes you can get a helpful tech other times not.

g'luk mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

And just a little add to yankinlk's options

3. You could do a double-NAT between the Zyxel and D-link

Best option would be for the Zyxel in briged mode though and let the d-link do your PPPoE stuff.

JayoK

thanks for the suggestions, i shall look into getting the modem setup as a bridge and see if that's the way to go :)

• Advertisement

okay this sucks, i've just been onto iol's support team and recieved and e-mail back from them saying "Unfortunately, we do not offer support for setting up the IOL Broadband router as a bridge"

last night i went into the wizard and tried setting up the modem as a bridge and left all other settings as defaults. upon closing the modem software page i still had net acces on both pc and laptop, next i went into my router's software setup and setup the appropriate port forwarding settings and saved em. To my ammazement this actually worked fine, no more NAT errors :)

However i know i another problem. after approx 2hrs the modem seemed to disconnect from the net and would'nt reconnect until i powered off the modem and then switched it back on again, it reconnected fine and worked again for another 2-3hrs and then disconnected again. It's happening all day every 2-3 hrs the net access dies and i have to power down then power up the modem for it to reconnect. when i loss net acces the network is still running fine so i don't think it's down to the router.

Anyone got any ideas seen as iol won't help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Eye wrote:
    It's happening all day every 2-3 hrs the net access dies and i have to power down then power up the modem for it to reconnect. when i loss net acces the network is still running fine so i don't think it's down to the router.

Anyone got any ideas seen as iol won't help?

Check the settings of the router again. See if you can see anything related to connecting for the ppoe settings. it should be setup to be always on, or to stay connected.

Some routers are set to only connected as needed.

yeah i think that may be it alright, i thought of that after posting earlier i did remember seeing an option for auto reconnecting on the router which was off by default so i went back in and turned it on and so far so good, it's been running about 3 hrs or so now so i will leave it like that and see if that solves the problem.

Advertisement