Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for Christmas

Options
  • 01-01-2001 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

i didn't get too many this year, but there was a few of them going around the family.

I got a non fiction Tim Severin book called 'The Search for the Great White Whale' or something, tracking the legend of Moby Dick, where Melville got his inspiration and stuff. I usually don't read non-fiction books and stuff, but this 0wned - there was a lot more depth to Moby Dick than you would think smile.gif has anyone read any other tim severin books that are any good? he did the brendan voyage, and stuff like that. and he lives in cork wink.gif

In the same non-fiction style, my brother got an expensive new book about a guy in the Shackelton expedition to Antarctica i think it was. its meant to be brilliant

A few other books floating around - Jeremy Paxman's 'The English'. he does university challenge i think, my bro was reading it and sed it was good.

But i spent most of my christmas reading trying to get through Baldurs Gate II manual (got the game as well smile.gif)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

the only book ull ever need is upside down harry!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i got:

house of leaves by mark z. danielewski
    miss wyoming by doug coupland
    and some dilbert book, i think it's "dogbert's top secret management handbook" or something.

the only one i havent read is miss wyoming, but thats cause i read house of leaves twice. biggrin.gif

I Live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I got Hannibal, absolutely class. One of the best written books I have read in years. Finished it far too quickly tho. I also got some Raymond E. Feist books, the first 2 of the serpentwar saga, which were excellent also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dinosaur in a Haystack, by Stephen J Gould(witty science essays)
    Cathedral and the Bazaar, by Eric Raymond (Open Source Culture and Linux)
    Guards, Guards the Graphic novel by Prathcett and Biggs (You get to see what Nobby looks like /shudder/).

Advertisement