Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the wheel of time end??????

Options
  • 08-01-2001 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hmmm just picked up the latest installment of Jordan's epic:"Winter's Heart"(book 9!!). After reading about 30 pages I realised I couldn't remember half the $hit from the previous novels... just finished Goodkind's "Faith of the Fallen"(latest sword of truth book!!) & since the stories are so similar i just confused myself so I'm thinking of re-reading the series!! Anyways has anyone read it? does the story end here? cos if it doesn't I'll just fuppin wait for the rest & read it all from scratch wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mythago:
    Hmmm just picked up the latest installment of Jordan's epic:"Winter's Heart"(book 9!!). After reading about 30 pages I realised I couldn't remember half the $hit from the previous novels... just finished Goodkind's "Faith of the Fallen"(latest sword of truth book!!) & since the stories are so similar i just confused myself so I'm thinking of re-reading the series!! Anyways has anyone read it? does the story end here? cos if it doesn't I'll just fuppin wait for the rest & read it all from scratch wink.gif</font>

Hehe i know what you mean, i had a bit of trouble remembering stuff from the other WOT books, even though i have read books 1 - 7 all the way thru 2 or 3 times.I think book 9 is the beginning of the end as it were, as the ending of the book is pretty significant.

I have heard about Terry Goodkinds books copying WOT so i dont read them, how much of it is copied exactly?

And NO it doesn't end at book 9, and won't end for at least a few more books.at LEAST.

[This message has been edited by --Kaiser-- (edited 08-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Goodkind doesn't exactly copy him, the plots are kind of similar, goodkind's stuff is alot more violent though!! and it isn't nearly as complex, well there aren't 2 dozen subplots anyway wink.gif They're definitely worth a look, if only as a stop-gap until the next spoke in the Wheel of Time comes around.
    Just had a look at a pic of Jordan... at least he's not liable to die of old age any time soon wink.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It will never end. the publisher know it's like crack and that people are completely hooked. It will continue until the end of time!

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

if you cant remember what is going on go to
    www.dragonmount.com
    they do a book by book, chapter by chapter review.and can be quit helpfull.
    there is going to be at least three more wot books.
    but id say about another five will be needed before its finished.
    god help us, thats another 10 years.
    if you are looking for something to read in the mean time try robin hobb, her books are a rocking.
    anybody else read her.
    as for goodkind ,i think in the first few books the stories were quit similer but the have ironed it out a bit.
    im just about finished soul of fire and i have really enjoyed it. although as you say it has none of the depth of wot.

anyway happy reading.
    ps any one have any recomendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Hobb is great, the Assasins trilogy is just so ****ing good, i cant believe it!It made me want to cry at times, really!

• Advertisement

have you read liveship trilogy yet.
    its even better than the farseer trilogy.
    i have to say that she comes in a very close second behind jordan as my favorite writer.
    she writes so god damn beutifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

befuddles me so i think i will try and get some of this wheel of time fantasy/crack.
    what is the name of the 1st book and can i get it anyplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

winters heart sat beside my bed with 40 pages to read for about 3 weeks.
    i picked it up again and couldnt believe all the stuff that happened in the last pages. unbelievable.
    made me want to read the entire series again just so i could figure out who all the different reincarnations of people were smile.gif
    must try this goodkind or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Nah i dont like the LiveShip Traders as much.
    WhiteWash, buy them!I bought every one of them before i had a job!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My 2pence
    Wheel of time -meandering recycled pap
    Goodkind - dull & repeatative
    Assassin's Trilogy - fresh, engaging though a triffle morose.
    My two choices for the bloated fantasy 'trilogy' award would be
    Bakers Boy by J V Jones & MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN by Tad Williams.

• Advertisement

ive just started baker boy, only read a hundred pages so i cant really comment on it.
    the first book of wot is the eye of the world.
    it can be a bit of a slog at time and at parts can all fell a bit to familliar.
    just get through once you get to book 2 your social life will dicintegrate and you weill end upi losing your job for reading while at work (well it happened to me).
    anyway start the books you will not regret it.

'The wheel of time turns,and ages come ago.
    what was, what will be,and what is,
    may yet fall under the shadow'

lovely

sorry for that illedgable garble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Has anyone ever read the Thomas Covenent the Unbeleiver books by Staphen Donaldson?
    They are surprisingly good, written around the 70's or so.
    Memory, sorrow and thorn by Tad Williams is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Seems I've just been given an excuse to read the whole WoT again, got a low-paying contract in UK so I'll re-read the series while I'm there smile.gif

As for Donaldson I tried to read Mordant's Need years ago & to be honest I just could not get interested in the story, so it's kinda put me off his other books.

Advertisement