Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VC is rigged

Options
  • 10-11-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Well on track to win the 7.5k last night, I have about 20k chips with the average being about 10k with 40 odd players left. I raise in LP with 86s, and get 3 callers (!). Flop is J 8 5 rainbow. Its checked to me and I check as well. Turn is an 8 & its checked to me again so I bet the pot, which is about 4k. One of the blinds goes all in for another 5/6k. I cant really fold here for another 5k so I call. He has 99, but he hits his 2 outer (9) on the river and Im down to 10k .

Ten or twenty hands later and Im back up to 20k. I get AQs utg and limp in. The button calls and the small blind completes. Flop is Q 5 3 with two hearts and one spade, (I have spades), its checked to me so I bet the pot, which is about 5k. The button calls and the blinds fold. Next card is a 7 of spades, and I push all in straight away. The button calls with KQ and hits his two outer on the river. The king of spades would of given me the flush.

So now Im down to 4k. I then go all in each time its folded to me, eventually called when I actually have a hand, JJ called by KJ, and Im up to 20k again. I work that up to 30k and then limp in Lp after a few other limpers with 55. Flop is 5 9 K with 2 hearts. The Big Blind bets out about 4k, everybody folds so I call. My plan at this stage was to represent the flush draw, hope it misses and then do a desperation bluff on the river. Unfortunately the 10 of hearts hits on the turn, but then the Big Blind goes all in immediately, which is a gigantic overbet. About 30k into a 15k pot. I think for a long while, but his bet made no sense to me, why would he do that with a lone king? He must think theres a chance I had the flush draw. But if he had the flush draw why would he bet so much? Surely he would either give me the chance to bluff it, or at least bet an amount I can call. So I called, and he had 9Q with no hearts. Nice one. Im busy fixing myself a congratulary chip leader drink when all of a sudden the chips go sliding the wrong way. The last card was a J giving him a straight. This one at least was a 4 outer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I think it's just too like real poker! :)

actually played a quick STT there last night and went out calling and all in by the other big stack preflop with KK. He had KQ (!?).....and he flopped a straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I take it you didn't make it to the money then?

I played the 5k freeroll on VC last night. As with most freerolls needed a bit of luck to get down to the money, my J 10 beating A K, winning 50-50s etc. but then just off the money my luck seemed to desert me. My aces fell down to somebodys rags and with the blinds rising every few minutes I began to get nervous. Luckily I managed to limp my way into the cash and was re-building my stack when I looked down to see an Ace-King. I went all-in from middle position, by this stage it was an all-in game, got called by some joker with sh*te who naturally out-drew me and out I went in 14th.

Of all the times to get beaten like that. If I had won that hand I would have been in top 5 of stacks anyway and in a decent position to make a run at winning the tournament. 1500 for first too - not too bad for a freeroll! Still picked up 75 for 14th so not a total write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I've found with VC - started playing about 2 weeks ago, and was rising rising rising nicely up for a week. Then suddenly it's all crashed and these beats you speak of are happening regularly! But I think it's all about taking the rough with the smooth. While things are going against me my plan is to limit my losses, then things will change and I hope to maximise my gains! Tis all we can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Thats quite a decent Freeroll, €1400 for first and only about 100 entrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Methinks Hectorjelly you are taking the beats too hard. It happens to everyone at somestage. Live in The Merrion last night I was beaten by less then 6 outers at least 4 times. Take a chill pill and wait for your luck to improve ! If you are getting beaten by these hands then you are putting yourself in good positions, keep doing this and the wins will come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

jez sounds like one of those nights, hard luck HJ. I'm sure you'll get your revenge soon enough and fleece those insolent f*kers!

Shortstack wrote:
    Methinks Hectorjelly you are taking the beats too hard. It happens to everyone at somestage. Live in The Merrion last night I was beaten by less then 6 outers at least 4 times. Take a chill pill and wait for your luck to improve ! If you are getting beaten by these hands then you are putting yourself in good positions, keep doing this and the wins will come.

Ill be fine, I was really just fishing for somebody to scold me for not raising with trips on the flop in the third hand. Ive learnt to live and die by the river. I lost a 2k pot to a person with one out a short while ago, and hit runner runner straight to win a 3k tournament a shorter time ago, so Ive learnt to cope with these things :)

Interesting blog by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ill be fine, I was really just fishing for somebody to scold me for not raising with trips on the flop in the third hand.

I was going to scold you for limping with AQ. A raise might have gotten that KQ of the hand. Still most of the time he would of lost so...

musician wrote:
    I was going to scold you for limping with AQ. A raise might have gotten that KQ of the hand. Still most of the time he would of lost so...

I thought about that, I dont really like raising with AQ except in late position, first of all because I have to lay it down to a reraise, and some people dont reraise with AK, which can lead to a messy out of position hand. I would think in this hand, and this opponent, that I would of been called by KQ anyway; but maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I don't see anything wrong with limping with AQ from early position, I think a lot of players tend to over-rate the hand... plus the way it worked out, you're up against KQ: perfect. Just unlucky on the river.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

AQ is always a difficult one. If you are against good players you know they will respect an early position raise or re-raise with AK. Problem being most of them probably wont be that good.
    I see alot of players on VC calling an all-in bet with AQ not mention AJ. These are not calling hands in general but I do see the point of limping in early position (presumably with a willingness to let it go if someone raises substantially).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

sorry for the stupid question but whats VC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Victor Chandler poker.

www.vcpoker.com

musician wrote:
    AQ is always a difficult one. If you are against good players you know they will respect an early position raise or re-raise with AK. Problem being most of them probably wont be that good.
    I see alot of players on VC calling an all-in bet with AQ not mention AJ. These are not calling hands in general but I do see the point of limping in early position (presumably with a willingness to let it go if someone raises substantially).

Ill let it go based on player and stack size, what limping does is make it easy to get away from.

Advertisement