Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy, Veggie, lunch places in Dublin City?

• 10-11-2004 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Heh, I'm asking for a lot here.

We do a rota in my place, so some weeks I'm on till as late as 6.30, and other weeks I finish as early as 5. I'm finding that when I'm on till 6 or 6.30, by the time I get home, cook dinner, and sit down to eat it, it's bordering on 8, sometimes 9 o'clock. And then I go to bed with a really full stomach. Which is not desirable.

So I'd like to reverse my timetable for these weeks. That is, dinner at lunchtime, and a lunch-size meal when I get home (sandwich & coffee or whatever). There is a subsidised canteen in work, but the only problem is that I'm losing weight at the moment, so keeping an eye on what I eat. 90% of the time, the vegetarian option in the work canteen consists of Pasta Bake, Veg Lasagne, or Chips + Something, the very foods that perpetrated my downfall :D

So I'm looking for somewhere in Dublin City to get a substantial meal that's veggie, relatively healthy, and that'll be done and dusted and back to my desk in the space of an hour.

Anyone? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Cornucopia is a pretty good bet. I can't think of anywhere specifically vegetarian besides it.

Indian food is very healthy (if you pick the right stuff) and they do good vegi stuff (Saag Paneer and Chana Masala kick ass), maybe try and scope out a good Indian near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Juice on Georges street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Govinda's in Aungier St. Big portions, fast service and cheap. Been a while since I've been in there so I don't know what it's like now but worth a try I'd say if it's not too far from your work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Govinda's in Aungier St. Big portions, fast service and cheap. Been a while since I've been in there so I don't know what it's like now but worth a try I'd say if it's not too far from your work.

Also now on Abbey Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

I dunno if Govinda's on Abbey Street is under same management as the one on Aungier Street, but I can honestly say that the food is way better at the Aungier Street shop.

My opinion of Abbey Street Govinda's:
    Positive: Tasty bread, large portions of food
    Negative: The food tasted rather bland
    Price: Main course was around 8-9 Euros
    Recommendation: just head over to Aungier Street, you won't be dissappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Scubachick

seamus wrote:
    90% of the time, the vegetarian option in the work canteen consists of Pasta Bake, Veg Lasagne, or Chips + Something, the very foods that perpetrated my downfall :D
    God Seamus, I know what you mean. I am a veggie on a diet. At the best of times, all I am offered (from 5* hotel to pub grub) is greasy stir fry or cheesey fattening pasta. If there are any chiefs reading CAN YOU PLEASE LAY OFF THE STIRFRY/PASTAS :mad: !!!

I can't tell you where in Diblin to go, I can tell you what to ask for in most standard places. I have tried asking for non-menu things, and most places are willing to accommodate. The makings of a salad is normally in every kitchen. However, people seem to think that because I order a salad I am not STARVIN, so make it clear! Also, many salads come with heaps of mayo/ dressings/ coleslaw etc so ask for these on the side. Try a baked spud with LF beans or coleslaw. Choose wraps over sandwiches/ baguettes. The usual carvery boiled dinner veg with a scoop of soup over it, but go easy on the supds (The Duke on Duke Street do a good one). Aisian places generally have a great veggie selection. Ask them to suggest a l/f option. Can you cook at night and bring it to work to microwave?

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Agree with above Govinda's is the best cheap food around..
    I have brought in 4 non-veggies over the last year... didn't tell them and they loved it.. everyone of them.. Govinda's is truly a great place to eat...and they also are open most evenings so a stop by on the way home from work is also a good one... Go for the Special..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Another vote for Govinda's here. Ate at the Abbey St. branch this week, and while it was nice, I prefer the Aungier St. branch.

I'll also recommend Nude (on Suffolk St) for lunch (and their coffee is divine). There's a café in Temple Bar too... of course the name escapes me but it is upstairs from SéSí clothes shop. Tasty lunches (sandwiches, mostly, but very veggie-friendly ingredients!) Wagawama under Stephens Green SC is good too, incredibly fast service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Cornucopia gets very busy at times, there's usually more space at Cafe Fresh, top of Powerscourt centre.

Blazing Salads on Drury St. (near back of George's St. arcade) is the über veggie lunch place, but it's take-away only. Have a look at their website http://www.blazingsalads.com/
    (and don't be put off by the name, they also do veggie samosas/pizzas/pitta sandwiches/ready meals etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Wagamama has a number of healthy veggie options (Japanese restaurant on South King Street, beside Stephens Green Shopping Centre).

I recommend Yasai Yaki Soba: delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement