Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network 2 home PCs???

Options
  • 10-11-2004 1:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

2 Pcs
    1 BB Router connected to the PIV with ethernet.

PIII hasnt got ethernet, before i got the PIV the PIII used USB to connect to BB router. PIII is no longer connected to the router, its gathering dust in the corner.

Ive got XP on both machines.

I want create a simlpe home network to share files across both PCs and share the BB internet connection and printer, ive never done anything like this before.

is this possible considering that the old PC used USB to connect to the BB router and doesnt have an ethernet card.

How would i go about creating the home network with the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

First thing you need is a hub...

Choose which machine is going to be connected to the bb router (this machine is your main machine for our purposes here), and the other machine will work off that one.

Setup a new connection on both machines, give them ip addresses, 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 or something like that. If you have a firewall on both macines setup a rule on it to allow each other to connect to each other...

Then setup internet connection sharing on the main machine, pretty easy wizard in xp...

I think thats all you need to do... thats all i did anyway...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

your saying, connect main PC to BB router.

Connect old PC to new (main) PC.

Ive only ethernet card on the new machine, so how do i connect them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

__________ pc 1
    /
    BB router
    \___________ pc 2

assuming youve got a BB router with usb and ethernet ports on it
    connect both to the router
    then just run network wizard in xp
    select my pc connects through a router/hub setup from the menu

or Main PC
    /
    bb router
    hub
    \
    Secondary PC

Get ehternet cards for both of them, only a tenner in pc world

that diagram came out arse ways, the pcs come off the hub...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

so so many threads on this subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

use the router as the hub
    saves a tenner on a nic
    and a few euro on a hub
    get a hub when you get more pcs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Oh its grand, i only want to be able to whip the files i want off the old PC and possibly use it for storing digital camera Photos, its going to sit in the next room, the rest of the family will use it to connect to the internet, theyve already polluted my new PC with enough spyware and viruses. Ill set up a firewall on the old PC along with anti virus and spyware detection software this week.

thanks for the help, any probs and ill get back to you guys on this thread!

cheers

Advertisement