Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Mix Up - Sound Familiar

• 10-11-2004 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I just had an interesting conversation with IBB today. I was sick of waiting nearly 6 weeks for an installation date for their breeze 1 meg connection, so i rang them today and demanded to speak to a supervisor. After a short conversation with him he determined that my paperwork had never gone through.
    Hmmm...??? thats odd since i have rang once or twice a week and everyone i spoke to said my forms had gone through and i was just waiting for the installations team to ring me and that there was a large backlog of installs to do in Rathmines\Ranalagh area. Yet the supervisor clearly said they couldnt find the forms, so i had to refax them, he then ran to apaologize and said they will ty and rush the installation, he said they will ring me end of next week "hopeully" and arrange a date.

That is crazy i have been waiting over 6 weeks and told there is a backlog of orders thats why i was waitng, but in fact my order had never gone through. I am not pleased with this at all as you can imagine. It will be interesting to see if i get it installed soon. It seems to me a few people have had this problem aswell. How can they let this happen and lie to me for 6 weeks?? I specifically asked if the order had gone through ok when i rang them numerous times and they said it definitly had. :mad:

So the big question is, in peoples experience, will IBB give me a date end of next week or the week after , or will i wait yet evermore for it? Also will it be worth it if i get it?? I am considering NTL if available. Who has experienced this before???? Any feedback???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

gline wrote:
    Also will it be worth it if i get it??

Speed.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

thats for a 1.5 meg connection though??no???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Serbian, that test has been down for well over a year. Are you even with IBB anymore?

gline, it completely depends on what you're going for. The Breeze should be grand, ripwave seems to vary from person to person. I would however recommend NTL if you can get it as there seem to be little or no problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heres an upto date speed test for ripwave...

Kevok wrote:
    Serbian, that test has been down for well over a year. Are you even with IBB anymore?

gline, it completely depends on what you're going for. The Breeze should be grand, ripwave seems to vary from person to person. I would however recommend NTL if you can get it as there seem to be little or no problems with it.
    Its breeze connection, i had riwave and it didnt work for me due to me being at ground level in a house. What attracted me to IBB was the symetrical connection for setting up games server or ftp. I dont know if ntl is available in my area, i sent them an email to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

GreeBo wrote:
    Heres an upto date speed test for ripwave...

Are you serious Greebo, those speeds are rubbish... :rolleyes:

...seems like ditching IBB was the best decision I ever made

Those test results are for ripwave, which is crap anyway, it is their lowest speed package. Their 1 meg is supposed to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

hey gline, where'd you go to find that test? Just got ripwave myself yesterday, interested to see if it's as slow as it feels!

In fairness though, I knew it wasn't going to be as fast as the other packages out there, but the fact I don't need a phone line swung me, since I have a nice fast connection in college when I want it...

i honestly dont know what test he is using, but there are plenty of speed tets online that wee mentioned in other threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

ah, sorry, got my usernames mixed up, didn't mean to aim that at you, but cheers for the tip, I'll have a look in the other threads...

• Advertisement

no problemo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Kevok wrote:

The test may have been down for a year, but the speeds aren't much better. Take a look at GreeBo's post. I'd also like to add that, although the test results aren't up to date, I was stuck with a connection in and around the speed illustrated for 3 months, which says a lot about their attitude to their customers.

I would say steer clear of Irish Broadband at all costs. Their customer service is absolutely non-existant, and if you complain about your unbearably slow download speeds, they will tell you that they only guarantee a 64kb connection.

It depends on who u speak to, i have loads of mates with IBB and their connections are great. Recently i got to use the 1 meg lite connection and it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Heres a speed tester for you....

http://www.irishisptest.com

Is it an accurate test, it says my work connection is only 800k though it is a 2meg connecton

Now it says 1.3 meg connection, 1 min later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Adey2002 wrote:
    Heres a speed tester for you....

http://www.irishisptest.com

That test gives me 969 at 10.25 am , i'm om IBB 1 meg

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

is that good or bad for that time of day?

Tony wrote:
    That test gives me 969 at 10.25 am , i'm om IBB 1 meg
    my ripwave wanders between 150-300kb
    no where near my paid for 512 :(
    ahwell maybe soon NTL or even eircom will arrive at my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Hey gline I'm afraid i can beat you hands down here as i had send three application forms in
    the second time i went in personally and hand delivered it to the person i had been dealing with , she brought me and i handed it over as the first application had been mislaid, i went in on the 12th of july in sept i finally got an email saying they were ready to rock so I ring up and what do you know ? No sign of my application forms , so got another faxed out fillled it in and faxed it back
    asked if i could jump ahead as I have had to wait so long , but i was told only if there is a cancellation on an order .
    So here i am waiting . i rang on tuesday to find out what the story was and i was told i was due to be contacted re LOS test and installation on Wed
    still have not heard anything !!!!
    I'm in Bray on the Southern Cross Rd and i do not have a lot of options
    my battle with eircom is another long story !!!!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    my ripwave wanders between 150-300kb
    no where near my paid for 512 :(
    ahwell maybe soon NTL or even eircom will arrive at my door.
    If u read it carefully u will see ripwave as advertised as "UP TO 512k" it doesnt guarentee 512, in fact u are lucky if u get anywhere near that

vasch_ro wrote:
    Hey gline I'm afraid i can beat you hands down here as i had send three application forms in
    the second time i went in personally and hand delivered it to the person i had been dealing with , she brought me and i handed it over as the first application had been mislaid, i went in on the 12th of july in sept i finally got an email saying they were ready to rock so I ring up and what do you know ? No sign of my application forms , so got another faxed out fillled it in and faxed it back
    asked if i could jump ahead as I have had to wait so long , but i was told only if there is a cancellation on an order .
    So here i am waiting . i rang on tuesday to find out what the story was and i was told i was due to be contacted re LOS test and installation on Wed
    still have not heard anything !!!!
    I'm in Bray on the Southern Cross Rd and i do not have a lot of options
    my battle with eircom is another long story !!!!
    Man im sorry to hear that, thats terrible, i have heard bad waiting stories with IBB, but yours is the worst so far, so in total how long have you been waiting???

gline wrote:
    If u read it carefully u will see ripwave as advertised as "UP TO 512k" it doesnt guarentee 512, in fact u are lucky if u get anywhere near that
    oh yeah I know they only guarantee something like 12kB D/L..
    In the begining I had 50kB+ D/L, not anymore, I wonder if I am being throttled, If I am I might have to go throttle someone myself!

good luck in trying to talk to IBB about being throttled, they will prob just lie to u :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You guys seem to confuse throttling with contention. You haven't paid for an uncontended connection and you're not getting it. Speeds will vary, that's just how it is. In the case of Ripwave you also have to factor in fairly unreliable NLOS technology.

But what seems to be happening with ripwave, its really fast for a week or two then speeds drop dramatically and stay that way. I dont think that has anything to do with contention

Blaster99 wrote:
    You guys seem to confuse throttling with contention. You haven't paid for an uncontended connection and you're not getting it. Speeds will vary, that's just how it is. In the case of Ripwave you also have to factor in fairly unreliable NLOS technology.
    Nah, I dont buy that argument.
    The position of the modem has not changed and nothing has been built in between (if anything it should be better as the trees have lost their leaves now)
    I still have an amber connection and my pings are as better than they were before but my throughput has died a miserable death.
    Yeah the speeds will vary between an upper and lower limit, but the band is a good 200kb crapper then it was in the begining.
    And Im not the only one...

I dont believe it IBB rang me 10 minutes ago to confirm an installation date, get this --- THIS MONDAY COMMING at 12pm, that is brialliant. Its amazing what a little moan to a superrvisor can do, I willl wait and see if they turn up, but that is GREAT news :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You lucky lucky lucky... let us know if they actually turn up and get it working! Still waiting since mid sept (although they claim the clock starts 10th Oct after the paperwork "cleared").

• Advertisement

They better turn up i have to book a day off work for this, if they dont i will go ballistic

Advertisement