Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loads of New Wonka Pics..

• 10-11-2004 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

Well..

I'm really not too sure what to say about these... first of all, i don't think Johnny Depp looks right as Wonka. The kids look almost identical to the kids from the 70's version. Not too sure what exactly the guy in the red leather jumpsuit is supposed to be? I'm praying it's not supposed to be a re-invented Oompa Loompa!

Share your thoughts!

Images courtesy of Ain't-It-Cool-News.

wwonka1.jpg
    wwonka2.jpg
    wwonka3.jpg
    wwonka4.jpg
    wwonka5.jpg
    wwonka6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Ha ha - I completely forgot this was being re-made!

Not sure about Johnny Depp - think its either going to be a box-office smasher or a pile of crap - would love to see a couple of clips from it - any about yet?

When is due to be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

Looks incredibly weird but in a good way. I think Depp will make a great Wonka but won't be a patch on Gene Wilder. Is that guy in the red suit an Oompa Loompa?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can see what you're saying about Depp but we know he can be very good at being barmy, so I'm still not worried.

That red jumpsuit guy is an Oompah Loompah alright - look at this suit: it's embalzoned with a 'WW' for 'Willy Wonka'. However, I'm thinking the reason he's wearing headphones is because he's an Oompah Loompah from Mike TV's ehh.. TV segment when they're in the recording studio. In the original those guys were in white jumpsuits and not the regular Oompah Loompah suits. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

weerez wrote:
    Looks incredibly weird but in a good way. I think Depp will make a great Wonka but won't be a patch on Gene Wilder. Is that guy in the red suit an Oompa Loompa?
    Don't think any actor could portray Wonka like the genius that is Wilder!

Whatever happened to Gene Wilder? Last time i saw him was in an episode of 'Will And Grace' - dear God! He must really need work! :(

Not too sure 'bout the guy in red suit - on Ain't It Cool News, they say:
    That’s an Oompa Loompa? What happened to the all-CG approach we’d been hearing about? Hey, wait... that's not an Oompa Loompa! That's Deep Roy!!"
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Any pics of Charlie? Who's playing him?

Is the guy in the blue tracksuit Mike TV?

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    That red jumpsuit guy is an Oompah Loompah alright - look at this suit: it's embalzoned with a 'WW' for 'Willy Wonka'. However, I'm thinking the reason he's wearing headphones is because he's an Oompah Loompah from Mike TV's ehh.. TV segment when they're in the recording studio...

Think you nailed it on the head there!

It's also worth noting the film will be called 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' (not that it makes it sound any less like a remake!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

basquille wrote:
    wwonka3.jpg

Ironically, this is the only person who doesn't look Gay in the movie.

Im curious about this one. I love the original and I probably would curse a remake apart from the fact that Burton and Depp are involved.

Any pics of Charlie? Who's playing him?

Is the guy in the blue tracksuit Mike TV?
    Newly-discovered actor Freddie Highmore will be playing Charlie - no pics of him as Charlie yet!

I'm having problems with some of the casting decisions in it though, such as:

Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Bucket,
    Christoper Lee as Willy Wonka's father (??)

But i actually like the idea of Irish actor David Kelly as Grandpa Joe..

I think we all know him from something.

Seems perfect for Grandpa Joe's role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

how are they managing to put in willy wonkas dad??

I know the obvious response is 'wait and see' !!

Really not to sure about this, its just one of those films that will be so difficult to improve on (as well as unneccessary!) The augustus gloomp looks good though. The oompa loompa looks likes he's out of the jetsons!

Also, this is apparently a pic of one of the Wonka Bars to be used in the film:

Nothing too exciting about it..

wonka_bar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

that is an oompa loompa as i recognise your man and he is a porg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't like the look of these pictures.. judging from them alone it looks like there going for a camp-retro look. But I'll wait and see I suppose.

Is Tim Burton still directing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

weerez wrote:
    Im curious about this one. I love the original and I probably would curse a remake apart from the fact that Burton and Depp are involved.

you mean you're not cursing Tim "Planet of the Apes" Burton?

Yes Planet Of The Apes is on my curse list. But I was thinking more along the lines of Beetlejuice, Batman and Edward Scissorhands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

And not forgetting the simply wonderful "Nightmare Before Christmas", or "Ed Wood"... And lesser known works like "Frankenweenie" and "Vincent"...

Burton is wonderful when it comes to doing his own thing, but as "Planet of the Apes" showed (which I still enjoyed in a brainless kind of way incidentially) he can have a little difficulty in adapting the work of others. I'm willing to forgive PotA, however, as he had little to no influence over the script with that one, and couldn't really imprwess his own stylings on it. But as the pics above show, this just oozes Burton.

..And not forgetting the simply wonderful "Nightmare Before Christmas"..

Hell yeah, that's the good stuff! :)

Don't know if a lot of ye knew this.. a little interesting fact bout TNBC is Jack Skellington in 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' is voiced by none other than Danny Elfman, probably the most famous composer in the movie biz.

He composes most of Burton's films, including Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Anyways, back to the subject of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, i have a fear that it will end up being a really dark film.

But let's face it, they couldn't have got a better director than Burton to take this on. He may all suprise us!

By the way, you can probably expect a teaser trailer to the film over the weekend. It's apparently been attached to prints of 'The Polar Express' in the US.

basquille wrote:
    Don't know if a lot of ye knew this.. a little interesting fact bout TNBC is Jack Skellington in 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' is voiced by none other than Danny Elfman, probably the most famous composer in the movie biz.

Elfman only sang the part, whereas Chris Sarandon voiced the spoken dialogue.
    basquille wrote:
    By the way, you can probably expect a teaser trailer to the film over the weekend.

Schweet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

ah ... but don't forget he did Mars Attacks too ... which was hardly a great movie ... and one he had a great deal of control over

I was willing to forget about it until Planet of the Apes (and don't forget he produced Batman Forever too!)

I'll keep an open mind about willa wonka though .... but it had better be great ...

(also John Williams is easily as, if not much more, famous as Danny Elfman)

• Advertisement

Elfman only sang the part, whereas Chris Sarandon voiced the spoken dialogue.

My mistake.. Danny Elfman did do the voice of the Clown With The Tearaway Face.

Must actually get a copy of TNBC on DVD for the Christmas - think there's a special edition of it out somewhere....

... I was right. Play have the special edition of it at the great price of 6.99 sterling. But it's out-of-stock right now. Lot of good extras on it too! Will be buying that as soon as it's back in stock.

Will post the teaser trailer of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory here as soon as it's available online.

Amazon have it in stock at the better price of £6.97 :D But its a great value DVD, the original movie, and two bonus films, the afore mentioned Vincent and Frankenweenie.

Amazon have it in stock at the better price of £6.97 :D But its a great value DVD, the original movie, and two bonus films, the afore mentioned Vincent and Frankenweenie.

True - but Amazon charge for delivery so it would actually cost you more!

EDIT: On CDWOW.HK, you can get it for HK$89 (roughly EUR8.85) with free shipping and all. SEE THIS FILM! Actually, scratch that... BUY THIS FILM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Hmm, Wonka looks a little plain tbh. I expected a more radical design. Still, we'll have to see how it all turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

dont really have an opinion on the willy wonka pics, as im just not that interested in it

i have tnbc(as you so lovingly put it :P) special edition on dvd, its great :D
    just want to make a few comments about it though, Tim Burton did NOT direct the film, thats one of the biggest misconceptions about the film(he only produced it) it was directed by Henry Selick, although Burton did create the story and characters.

and an interesting fact about Danny Elfman, he composed the Simpsons opening theme.

herobear wrote:
    ..Tim Burton did NOT direct the film, thats one of the biggest misconceptions about the film..

Yeah, i knew that!

Only found it out recently enough though - think i looked it up on IMDB a week or two back when it was on the telly and realised it wasn't Burton who directed it.

But i think most people consider it a Burton film.

Many reasons:
    - The full title of the film is actually: "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" (but this is a commonly used marketing tool used to attract people's interest that his name is attached to it!)

- Has the characteristics of a Burton film particularly the dark humour.

- Tim Burton is credited for the story (possibly because he wrote a poem which TNBC is based on).

- As for TNBC director, Henry Selick. The last film i saw with him as director was 'Monkeybone'.... need i say more?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

dont get me wrong, i do think of the film as a tim burton film, i just thought that was an interesting trivia about the film, i too only found it out recently too(from hotdog magazine, of all places) anyway to get back on point, its just a big misconception about the film.

and in an attempt to steer this thread back on topic, look what i accidentally found
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/wonka.php - the charlie and the chocolate factory teaser(?) poster

herobear wrote:
    ..and in an attempt to steer this thread back on topic, look what i accidentally found
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/wonka.php - the charlie and the chocolate factory teaser(?) poster

Cheers for that.. was posted here a couple of days back. Personally, i think that poster pose of Wonka looks a little too much like Jacko.

The teaser trailer is not, and will not be, attached to prints of 'The Polar Express' in the US - but there's a growing rumour that it will be in front of 'Ocean's 12'... but there's no real way to know!

I came across these today - they are apparently leaked photos of the Chocolate Factory set... bear in mind, it's early days in terms of production!

Whatcha think?

wonka1.jpg
    wonka2.jpg
    wonka3.jpg
    wonka4.jpg
    wonka5.jpg
    wonka6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

basquille wrote:
    Anyways, back to the subject of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, i have a fear that it will end up being a really dark film.

I wouldn't hold out to much fear of that, apparently the scriptwriter for Burtons version had never even seen the 1971 version before writing the script. After finishing the screenplay, he finally watched the 1971 version, only to be surprised at how much darker it was than the one he wrote.

More pictures including sets here

syke wrote:
    I wouldn't hold out to much fear of that, apparently the scriptwriter for Burtons version had never even seen the 1971 version before writing the script. After finishing the screenplay, he finally watched the 1971 version, only to be surprised at how much darker it was than the one he wrote.

Cheers for that - nice little tidbit there!

Heh.... can't imagine a Burton film that's not particularly dark in some way (apart from possibly 'Pee-Wee's Big Adventure')?

But can we really believe this man hasn't seen the original version.. i think everyone's seen it! :rolleyes: It's hard to avoid it each Christmas..! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

I suppose it different when you don't see the film when it came out, in 1971 but to me the film is very scary, not dark scary just trippy, Gene Wilder looked on edge, like he could give you some chocolate or throw you in a dicer especially in the scene at the end of moive in his office *remembers wierd scultpures and walls*

he was also very brash which I gues is hinted in the poster

the oompa loompa don't look freaky enough either, is there no enough ORANGE green haired dwarves around these days?
    http://www.maccabiajaxcc.com/cricket/pictures/pipersberg/oompadala.jpg

I hope they don't mess with the song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the "guy" in the blue is actually violet beauregard, hence the bubble gum. i wouldn't be too worried about the pics, all they are is advance teaser deelies shot against a white background, no-one knows how all the characters will look on screen

*edit*oh btw TNBC is available in virgin's "4 for €40" dealio

Advertisement