Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuters

• 10-11-2004 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

A guy is after jumping in front of a train between Sallins and hazelhatch, expect up to three hours delays this afternoon for all train to and from Hueston. :confused:

Check out Iranroid Eireann for more details.

I'm leaving work now to catch a bus, If i had of known i would have left an hour ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gogo wrote:
    I'm leaving work now to catch a bus, If i had of known i would have left an hour ago.

Yeah, he should have put out a broadcast on radio 1 telling the country he was going to commit suicide. What an idiot. :)

Seriously though, who commits suicide by jumping in front of a train? Their are quicker and less scary ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Hello, Joe? Yeah, I'd just like to make an unoffical announcement regarding delays on the Dublin line if I may..."

Poor guy. Must have been something awful to make him want to do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

seamus wrote:
    Seriously though, who commits suicide by jumping in front of a train? Their are quicker and less scary ways.

Maybe less scary but highly unlikely that it would be any faster.
    The poor person. :confused:
    The poor driver.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Knew this would happen here sooner or later- had only read about it last month being quite the phenomenon on Japanese rail lines, so much so that they now simply refer to it as a 'human accident' when citing the reason for delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

gogo wrote:
    If i had of known i would have left an hour ago.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

NoelRock wrote:
    Knew this would happen here sooner or later- had only read about it last month being quite the phenomenon on Japanese rail lines, so much so that they now simply refer to it as a 'human accident' when citing the reason for delays.

it's not the first time it happened here ... anyway was he hit .. is he dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cactus Col wrote:
    it's not the first time it happened here ... anyway was he hit .. is he dead?
    BreakingNews.ie says:
    Train kills man in Kildare
    10/11/2004 - 16:50:23

A man has died after he was struck by a train in Co Kildare.

Iarnród Éireann has said the man, who was on the line between Hazelhatch, near Celbridge, and Sallins, was fatally injured when he was hit by a train travelling from Dublin to Galway.

The accident happened at around 3pm.

All services in and out of Heuston Station have been delayed as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

NoelRock wrote:

it happens every few months here, just not reported widely. Seems to happen more in the run up to christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

My dad used to live in London years ago (in the 70's) and when he used to get the train nearly every day there'd be an announcement that trains were delayed due to a suicide on the track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I believe it also happens with boring and messy regularity on the London tube.

• Advertisement

impr0v wrote:

there was an attempted one at Harmonstown dart station last week, an old woman apparantly, i dont know how she managed to survive.
    Quite a horrific incident for the driver. I recall one such incident in dundalk some months ago, a woman walked out the track a section of rail after a bend, so she wouldnt be seen till the lsat second, lay down and put her head on the line. With predictable consequences.
    I have travelled in the cab of trains, and often pigeons smack into the windows, makes some noise, i can only imagine what a person would sound like :confused::confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

L5 wrote:
    it happens every few months here, just not reported widely. Seems to happen more in the run up to christmas.

Interesting stuff! It seems to be happening on a wider scale in Japan now, also people meeting up over the internet, sealing a car and pumping it full of gas... Scary and a little sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its an incredibly selfish way to commit suicide, I know the person is obviously going through hell but you have to think of the train driver. Seeing that kind of thing has a serious effect on them. I remember it happened to one driver about 3 times, one day a paper bag hit the front of the train suddenly and he got such a shock he had a heart attack. WHy do they have to jump on front of a train ? Why not take loads of sleeping tablets and knock back some whiskey ?

Tusky wrote:
    Its an incredibly selfish way to commit suicide, I know the person is obviously going through hell but you have to think of the train driver. Seeing that kind of thing has a serious effect on them. I remember it happened to one driver about 3 times, one day a paper bag hit the front of the train suddenly and he got such a shock he had a heart attack. WHy do they have to jump on front of a train ? Why not take loads of sleeping tablets and knock back some whiskey ?

Jumping in front of a speeding train is a pretty much 100% method of killing yourself instantly. I guess thats why they do it.

*shudder*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Hello, Joe? Yeah, I'd just like to make an unoffical announcement regarding delays on the Dublin line if I may..."
    I had to apologise to my monitor for laughing out loud at that.

Poor guy, you'd have to be in desperate shape to want to go out like that.

Article about suicide on the Tube here. It works out to about one a week.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

Tusky wrote:

that is awful, but yeah it doesx happen alot more than is reported. I have heard of a an ambulance man that would attend something like this fairly regularly and also in dublin dart area. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Well, this is one suicide that has made the headlines. It's the silent killer in Ireland. 450 a year + 10,000 reporting to a&e after self harm/attempted suicide. That's a scary amount.

God help the mans family, it's a burden around their neck for the rest of their lives now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Tusky wrote:
    Its an incredibly selfish way to commit suicide.....

I suppose we could look on the bright side and say it's not as selfish as parking one's car in front of the train...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mmmm..often referred to as "passenger action" on the announcements...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

impr0v wrote:
    I suppose we could look on the bright side and say it's not as selfish as parking one's car in front on the train...
    you're going to hell for that one :)

• Its an incredibly selfish way to commit suicide, I know the person is obviously going through hell but you have to think of the train driver. Seeing that kind of thing has a serious effect on them. I remember it happened to one driver about 3 times, one day a paper bag hit the front of the train suddenly and he got such a shock he had a heart attack. WHy do they have to jump on front of a train ? Why not take loads of sleeping tablets and knock back some whiskey ?

Suicide is nearly always selfish. The worst I remember happened near my house a few years ago. This woman got drunk and decided to kill herself by driving the wrong way down the motorway. She hit a car head on and killed two 18 year old girls. She survived. I remember being shocked and heartbroken by the selfishness. Maybe her life was **** but by doing what she did she was putting everyone elses life in danger and ended up killing two innocent strangers. It was so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, he should have put out a broadcast on radio 1 telling the country he was going to commit suicide. What an idiot. :)

Scarasm is rife here, I meant that it happened about 2ish and it was on irish rails website since about 2.30 and i only noticed/heard about it around five or so. Meaning that if i hada heard it earlier I woulda left earlier.

I'm thinking about the poor train driver as well, I can't even imgaine what he saw or was thinking when he seen a guy on the rails. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

gogo wrote:
    I'm thinking about the poor train driver as well, I can't even imgaine what he saw or was thinking when he seen a guy on the rails. :(

As other posters noted it does happen fairly regularily. But it only seems to get publicised in the dart and Kildare route.

Afaik IE have a good counselling program and the drivers are informed that it is likely to happen. Still it can't be easy.

Hitting cattle used to be a problem too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

narommy wrote:
    Hitting cattle used to be a problem too.

Happened last Friday on the Sligo line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

NoelRock wrote:

Did anyone else see Suicide Circle (japanese film)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

according to the ticket collector in Tara street lastnight someone was running for the dart and slipped down between the dart and the platform.

And a few months ago i was standing in tara station on the north bound platform when some girl in dream land went to step on to the dart, missed the floor and also fell down between the platform, scary as hell.. ya want to have heard the screams out of her.....lucky enough she was dragged out just before the dart started moving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Similar deal with the Berkshire rail crash last weekend in the UK. Suicidal man drives Mazda onto the rails at a crossing, sits waiting in the car for 30 seconds and derails the entire express train that hits his car at 100 miles an hour.

About a year and a half ago, I was delayed for an hour on my way to work by an accident at a station up the tracks from me (I'm in the UK). Our train was just outside the station when it happened, so they had to let us come through while they were still clearing up (we were blocking a major junction outside the station).

I just remember there being a, for want of a better term, "splash mark" on the platform, then between the two sets of rails there were various mounds covered by everything from a tarpaulin to a jacket to a piece of cloth. Highly, highly unpleasant.

It's not irregular in the UK for someone to commit suicide by train or by tube. I can only think that the guy in the Berkshire crash thought perhaps that the train would smash his car to bits, then continue up the tracks until it came to a halt. It doesn't bear thinking about otherwise - the notion that he believed that he'd kill not only himself, but the driver and five or six (I think) passengers, not to mention the number of people injured and the overall damage he caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

NoelRock wrote:

Same here in Germany. It happens about once a month.They always give explanations like " Human Accident " too. That or " Leaf on the tracks"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Im not sure how much substance there is to this story!.....but it was going around a lot by my way at the time!but apparently an ex covent teacher(i think) took her too children near Balbriggan station and jumped in front of a train killing all 3 of them!.....felt terribly sorry for both the kids!if your gonna take your own life, its a sad thing thing indeed but leave others out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

www.samaritans.org or email jo@samaritans.org phone 1850 60 90 90

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/4432803?view=Eircomnet
    Mental problems 'cause 90% of suicides'
    Saturday, 13th November, 2004

More than 90 per cent of people who die by suicide have an undiagnosed or untreated psychiatric disorder, a conference heard yesterday.

Prof John Mann, professor of psychiatry at Columbia University, New York, said the failure to identify these problems was a major obstacle to reducing suicide levels. He was speaking at the start of a three-day conference in Dublin organised by the 3Ts charity, to raise awareness through research, education and support.

"Not only are we not responding adequately to the issue of suicide, but we're not even getting to first base, given the level of untreated psychiatric disorders," he said.

Environmental factors such as social change or the declining influence of the church - frequently cited as contributing to suicide in Ireland - were only relevant if people had psychiatric problems, he said. There was an urgent need to educate health professionals, the public, and patients about the link between psychiatric problems and suicide, as part of wider suicide prevention programmes, said Prof Mann.

Research had found that reducing access to the means of death had also helped to reduce suicide levels, he said. In particular, gun control and the introduction of the catalytic converter helped reduce suicide in many jurisdictions.

The President, Mrs McAleese, who opened the conference yesterday, said the rise in suicide among young people was a "dark cloud" which had gathered over the country in recent years.

Suicide is the biggest cause of death among the 15-24 age group in Ireland. There were 12 suicides per 100,000 of the population in this age group in 1991, but this rose to 17.5 by 2001.

President McAleese called on experts and support groups to work together and share information to shed more light on the factors which lead to suicide.

"This is a problem we share with other countries around the world. All these pockets of knowledge, wealth and experience need to be joined up. Everyone must understand that they have a unique perspective," she said.

Prof Kevin Malone, professor of psychiatry at St Vincent's hospital, underlined the need for an all-Ireland survey of people who have lost a loved one to suicide to learn more about the problem.

"We have got to get beyond statistics and get through to people. We need an all-Ireland survey because everyone can help. It's everyone's problem, not someone else's. It affects everyone from Achill Island to Aylesbury Road," he said.

Former Garda sergeant Mr Michael Egan will speak at the conference today about the role of gardaí in breaking the news of a suicide to a family. Mr Egan has set up a training programme for gardaí on how best to tell families of a sudden death and how best to help them.

Prof Carol Fitzpatrick, professor of child psychiatry at UCD, will also tell the conference of a programme called "Tackling Tough Times", aimed at adolescents coping with depression and other emotional problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

spooiirt!! wrote:
    Same here in Germany. It happens about once a month.They always give explanations like " Human Accident " too. That or " Leaf on the tracks"

with explanations like that it's no wonder the whole issue of suicide is swept under the carpet with people being unable to discuss it etc

"the man entered the river".... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Believe it or not, it happened to me twice last week. On the same route. Once on tuesday afternoon and once on saturday night. its very disturbing

Advertisement