Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy

Options
  • 19-02-2001 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

I know - I know. wink.gif

right lets get the insults out of the way first. The guy is never going to win a nobel prize for literature and he's too american. His plots are as thin as the cheese on todays cafeteria pizza, etc., etc....

If you don't mind switching your brain off some of his stuff is a good read. All of his 'Jack Ryan' books (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Sum of All Fears etc,) are good page turners but stay away from the Netforce drivel. The guy does research to death so they all have an authenic feel. All in all great books to read a few chapters to help you relax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Tom Clancy does tell a good story in his books. I like his books when I'm between books. You can pick them up and get through them in a couple of nights easily. The ammount of research he does is really impressive. Your right he will never win an award but if the story is told well it's easy to read.

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Rainbow Six is quite good, although it is perhaps a bit too long(900 pages or so).

im trying to think of another one of his i enjoyed, i think it was called the 11th commandment, might be a forsyth actually, u should have a read of it though anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Tom Clancy writes some kewl stuff.
    Lots o research
    Lots o detail
    Although I find alot of his books to be very cold their not for everyone.
    Worthy of nobel prize hmmm dunno maybe smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Rainbow Six is indeed good. The plot keeps you turning pages for hours on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I quite like some of his books, not great but entertaining enough to pass a few hours, I liked the Jack Ryan/John Clarke ones, in particular the one where he was hunting down the drug dealers and started working for the CIA, name escapes me.

And Da'Bounca, I've read the 11th commandment and thought it was a very enjoyable read, it's by Archer as far as I know, good stuff. Any of those espionage style books are usually pretty fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

It could be "Clear and Present Danger" mills? That had a film made of it afaik...

UP DA DUBS!! :)

Advertisement