Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hybrid?

Options
  • 10-11-2004 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone might be able to lend some advice on choosing a new bike - I was thinking of getting a hybrid (work commute with occasional weekend cycles) for around the €500 mark. I have had a look around a couple of bike shops and was presented with a couple of models. They were
    Trek (7000, 7100, 7200)
    Ridgeback (Genesis 00, Genesis 01)
    Specialized (Sirrus)
    Can anyone give me any info on the relative merits/weaknesses of these bikes? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Hi - I am currently making a similar purchasing decision. I test cycled the sirrus (sport) and genesis day 00. I felt the sirrus had the edge over the day 00 - slightly fatter tires, suspension seat post both handy for a long commute. Overall the sirrus just seemed to fit me better. I didn't know anything about Ridgeback prior to riding the day 00 whereas I knew specialized had a good rep; that may have influenced me too.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with Ridgeback's?

Also, if you get to sample the trek's it would be interesting to hear how they stack up against the sirrus.

Cheers,
    Mem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ronan1975

Cheers for the response - I haven't had a chance to test cycle any of them yet but i intend to at the weekend - will let you know how i get on.

A friend has also offered to sell me his second hand road bike which is a few years old but which would be of a higher spec (cost 900 pounds Irish 4 years ago) than the bikes i was looking at in the shop - not sure whether i am better off going for the new bike or the second hand one (to the best of my knowledge it has been well maintained and is in good nick).

Decisions, decisions...

Just a quick update...

In the end I settled for a Ridgeback Genesis Day 01 - 24spd, shimano r500. Took it for another long test cycle up to the phoenix park, there is no doubt - the bike rocks. It is just so light, fast and nimble, perfect for my commute.

Also the sirrus range was just out of my price range, and not quite as much fun to ride as ridgeback. It also didn't help that the sirrus I tried wasn't really set up right - kept getting gear slip in the lower ranges. Also the guys at cyclelogical were much more helpful and down to earth compared to a certain other big city centre bike shop; that definitely influenced my decision.

..mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ronan1975

Funny you say that, I took the Ridgeback Genesis '01 and the Specialized Sirrus out for a spin and found that the Specialized seemed to suit me better - might go back and take them for a longer spin just to make sure...

I have heard conflicting reports about said large city centre bike shop - how are they (compared to other shops) for after sales service and the like?

Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

both city centre ones are certainly technically compotent but I can't comment on how the average punter would fare as I worked in one and am known well in the other as well!

the more expensive the bike the better served you'll be. The quays based one have no time for time wasters and will treat you like **** if they recognise that trait. They're sound guys though and if you know what you're talking about and have genuine complaints they will look after you well.

• Advertisement

Yeah, just to back that up both the big ones came across as being very technically proficient, so no hesitation there. The quays based shop just had better salespeople (for want of a better word), they just knew what say and do to make a customer feel comfortable with parting with $$$.

Advertisement