Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blind Watchmaker.

Options
  • 02-01-2001 3:05pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cant get enough of Dawkins on genetics. If you havent read The Selfish Gene yet, read it now. It will explain why the world is full of the people it is. Eye opening.

Half way through this "sequel" but its another good read. He has a few others out too but The Selfish Gene will remain his greatest work I reckon. It was near blasphemy when it was printed almost 20 years ago but now its accepted as the default scientific explanation of genetics apart from those loo-laa creationists. Darwin on stereoids.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

cool , nice one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Haven't Read Dawkins, only various articles by him. He seems to be too doctrinal, trumpeting his version of the truth above all else.
    Better read would be the essays from Stephan J. Gould. Has a more laid back style of explaining Darwin's Evolution and factors in both environmental and historical variables.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You have to remember that the guy has been at the front lines of the battle versus creationists for a long time.

Also, he's right! That kind gives you a superiority complex heheh

Nah, I like his style and he's extremely good at conveying his message. I've been meaning to read some of Gould for a while now, just havent got around to it.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

dawkins is the DUDE - he's a cross between professor frink and monty burns!

aye, maybe his approach IS a little pedagogical and dry but his invention of memetic engineering intruiging and dangerous in equal measures.

dont know much about gould but dennett is the new pop star isnt he - he even looks like darwin! I reckon that dawkins one day will create a race of half human robot-men and take over the world - he'll be king, dennet will be his page and stephen hawking will be the court jester. THERE's evolution for ya!

"I collect spores, moulds and fungus."

Advertisement