Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Christmas Celebration gig ?

Options
  • 10-11-2004 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

It would be great if Phantom FM organised a celebration gig round christmas featuring some of the bands that they supported and who supported them over the years.

How about it ? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NO ME TO KNOW

That is sure to happen!

Cant wait.

What's the bet the bands may include:

Who they've helped and who've helped them, like:

Pony Club
    Republic of Loose
    Juno Falls
    Autamata
    Alpha States
    Chuzzle
    Wilt (are they still goin?)
    Mundy
    The Frames

or maybe even bands who they've helped but haven't helped them SQUAT, like:

Turn

and other such C list too big for their boots artists.

I will never forget that interview with Ollie Cole where he yapped on about his almighty opinoin on Phantom, which needless to say made me feel ill and want to burn all my Turn records.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

New years eve gig, now that would ROCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

What did Mr.Cole say about Phantom?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Berkeley would play for beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

beans isn't good enough, cmon, it's phantom, they'd HAVE to do it free...
    new year's eve would be deadly.. except the frames are already doin a show so that's outta the question.. and mundy, turn and a few others that'd be vaguely likely to play generally do one too, so that'd be not so cool.
    i say december 28th. you're getting over the end of your Christmas hangover, you're a little bored of your family, you're all hyped up about 2005, and then BAM phantom comes and smacks you (upside ya head) with a phantastic lineup and free (that's right, free!!) badges for all. and all proceeds go to something worthy. like the simon community or such.
    i like my plan!!

mr reed, you listenin?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

oh, and ollie cole said the following

O: Phantom FM have to apply to the radio board every year to try to get their license. They're never going to give them a license 'cause Phantom are already breaking the radio laws by being on air. This could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I think they need to go off the air, realign themselves, get a new name and put together a proper business plan. I met one of the guys who works for the radio board and he said Phantom are never going to get a license if they continue break the radio laws. You don't get rewarded for stuff like that. If that's true and they can stay off air for a while, get their act together and come back, maybe they can get a license.

phuckin bollux

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Obviously ollie`s by the book approach only didnt work, did he not hear of capital Nightsky who did just that in 89 I think and never came back ??

Between christmas and New year would be ideal if a decent line up could be got. Im sure as mentioned bands like Alphastates and Autamata would play if they were available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NO ME TO KNOW

Amazing is'nt it.

Phantom supported, or should I say, MADE Turn!

And that muppet preaches on about breaking the law!

What a back stabber :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Just to knock this one on the head. Ourselves and Ollie had a chat after that article was printed and we had our side of the story printed online. It was far more of a misunderstanding and breakdown in communications than anything else and it was all sorted in the end. In other words, all is good between Ollie and Phantom!

I like the idea of the Christmas gig though, would be great. No idea if its a runner though, things are going to be a bit hectic for the next while. Leave it with us.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jonbon

If Brand'o could play at that gig that would be the best Xmas present I have ever received.
    Note: the fact that I always receive ****e Xmas pressies has nothing to do with this!!!! What's Elton up to now, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Yea, a Christmas gig would be great.

Wilt have broken up as far as I know, but new band Laminate has been formed from the ashes....
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

Great idea. I think if you like the idea pete you should do a bit of the running for it !

Donate the money to charity and everyones a winner :D

Hopefully bands like Pony club, autamata. alphastates. life after modelling could be enticed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robwDIT

jonbon wrote:
    If Brand'o could play at that gig that would be the best Xmas present I have ever received.
    Note: the fact that I always receive ****e Xmas pressies has nothing to do with this!!!! What's Elton up to now, does anyone know?

brado are no more buddy. las t i heard elton was doin solo stuff but that was at least a yr ago

memaeve wrote:
    Yea, a Christmas gig would be great.

Wilt have broken up as far as I know, but new band Laminate has been formed from the ashes....
    xm
    i heard kerbdog are gona be playin a gig in the near future, wit cormac battle takin part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Ollie Cole is harmless. So the man had problems, the major one being he had to suck up to all the 'legal' begrudgers if Turn were gonna get any 'legal' PR. Play he game Ollie, play the game!! (and he's pretty good at that!)

Let me see, bands to appear at a celebration gig (be it Christmas or not)...

Headliners most definitley Fture Kngs of Spain, Turn or Cormac Battle (in whatever incarnation he chooses)

And the best of others would have to be those bands that Phantom really hepled get to where they are today

Juno Falls (blotooth)
    Alphastates (babelfish)
    Republic of Loose (Johnny Pyro)
    Big Wig (LIR)
    Pugwash
    Nian Hynes
    Colm Querney

As it is my understanding, those bands all began life with a CD-R in the post to Phantom. They grew as phantom grew and are part of the fabric of it all. agreed?

Any I missed?
    Im sure there are. help me out

robwDIT wrote:
    i heard kerbdog are gona be playin a gig in the near future, wit cormac battle takin part

Cheers, that'd be sweet. :D
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

ah yeah Ollie is cool. Would love to see turn there.

There is a bit of a big player who is quoted to owing his success to phantom, but I dunno if he'd be interested now.. Damien Rice is the man I speak of. Would be nice to have the crazy hippy round, so long as his swooning posse stays at home!
    Definately
    turn
    FKOS
    autamata
    Alphastates
    Republic of loose
    66e

and cuz im greedy and overly optimistic the pixies.
    never gonna happen but can always dream.

I'm liking the look of that line-up Smurf!
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

Yeh that looks good.
    needs a weezer tribute band though...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hmmm irish bands i remember hearing on phantom a lot would be turn, blink, brando, mixtwitch (or was it woodrow-the ones who sang fire on the mountain).
    theres also a lot of bands i associate with phantom purely becuase of the message board such as polar, 66e, wallmark, otranome, and loads of others.

i'd love to see turn, 66e and polar at a phantom gig, and then a dj set after with lots of beer flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

Alphastates
    8 ball
    Tychonaut
    Autamata
    Pony club
    Dave Couse

some of them would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

Rockiemalt wrote:
    New years eve gig, now that would ROCK!

that would more than rock, it wud RAWK. ok yeh sorry.
    But seriously, it wud be sweet.
    who id love to see play
    the chalets
    FKOS
    Ten speed Racer
    The killers( yeh i know, not much chance but, mneh)
    cathy daveys
    Redneck Manifesto

ok and i cant think of any more.

i dont want damien rice to play for phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Aidan Lynch

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. It's this sort of involvement that, I think, sets us apart from most other stations.

Just to set a point straight, though, Damien Rice didn't forget about Phantom since he got big. He was a great help in the licence application phase, where he wrote a letter for inclusion in the application, outlining what he's doing recently and pointed out that, if it weren't for Phantom, he wouldn't be there now. (If anyone has a copy of the application, it's in the appendices) Personally, I'd love to get Damien to play at one of our gigs (and I'm sure he'd love to play), but it would all depend on timing and what part of the world he's in. It's our loss, in a way, when people become successful abroad because we don't get to see them play in nice small intimate venues at home all the time, but you can't begrudge that!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Macseamusa wrote:
    that would more than rock, it wud RAWK. ok yeh sorry.
    But seriously, it wud be sweet.
    who id love to see play
    the chalets
    FKOS
    Ten speed Racer
    The killers( yeh i know, not much chance but, mneh)
    cathy daveys
    Redneck Manifesto

ok and i cant think of any more.

Autamata!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bec

caz....ur obsessed!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

robwDIT wrote:
    i dont want damien rice to play for phantom.

I do. But that couldn't happen unless it was a really well kept secret type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

would be bedlam with damo fans all over the place :rolleyes: :D

on a kinda slanted viewpoint of the gig idea, I saw pete said that they'd be extra busy with the prep work, but there are a good many gig promotors and guys who run/organise gigs who use these boards ( I know you're out there! :) ) and if the PH lads and ladys are too busy maybe we could do the harder work and hold it in honour of Phantom, get the almighty Reeds seal of approval on it or something... get Mr. Hyland in on the deal too, since he's events organiser, ( or is he?? )

Anywho, just a thought...

Love to see Autamata, 66e, juno falls, chuzzle, nina hynes, rod y gab, the chalets. :D

Advertisement