Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fifth elephant

Options
  • 27-01-2001 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Just finish this book by Terry Pratchett. First discworld novel I ever read and I have to say I enjoyed it and sadly I'm now addicted to Discworld so what discworld novel should I read next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Eek, it's like trying to pick out a certain sweet to eat from a pick 'n' mix - you just want to gobble them all in one go. My favourites would have to be Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms, but closely behind are Mort and Interesting Times, also Reaper Man and... ah, just close your eyes and stick a pin, you can't lose wink.gif

My favourite Pterry book, however, is the non-discworld Good Omens, co-written with Neil Gaiman of Sandman and Neverwhere fame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Good choices Sico, though I think they should be read in order of release. He sort of moves from joke-a-minute shattergun scenarios to a more structured approach where characters evolve over time as the series progresses.

Also, about "Good Omens", is this being made into a film?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Go to any library and youll find a discworld trilogy, the city watch one is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Like the others said - they are all good. Although, I didnt like the 1st 2 granny weatherwax ones. She got better after that tho smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Pick up one of the collections - the Witches Triology, the Death Triolgy and the God Books (I think that's what it is called). He tends to write groups of books and if you read the out of order you'll get a wee bit confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I love the ol' Pratchett books. Agreed - Good Omens is brilliant.

As for Discworld - Small Gods was the first one I ever read - it's a good un'.

After that try and read them in order alright - makes the jokes better. I think The Colour of Magic is the first one in the series but it's not the best. Interesting Times is definitely good. Dammit - just read them all.

If you're a newbie, you might as well start at the start (Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic) - not the most interesting books, but they'll give you a bit of background history and you'll gain a better understanding of the later in-jokes.

Also, after you've read a few of the books, play the games! Hair-tuggingly difficult if you haven't read the books, but the puzzles are so funny and logical if you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

He's gotten pretty serial lately though hasn't he?

I read The Truth and Fifth out of order and got a bit messed up!

One of my favorites was Moving Pictures, but I read it only once, and that was many moons ago... Need to get that again!

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Yeah, Good Omens with neil gaiman is by far the best terry prachett book i've ever read.

Advertisement