Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance

Options
  • 10-11-2004 10:57pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the verdict on motorbike insurance? (Or are ye all car drivers?) 2 grand for a 16yr old to drive a scooter seems a bit steep to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

That would be about right. My husband is 32 with five years motorbike no claims bonus pays about €1,600. has a very powerful bike though. MB insurance is even worse than car insurance as there are only two insurance companies so there is no competition

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

it does suck indeed but as was just stated by enii there are only 2 (3 if you include AON) insurers for bikes :(

myself i'm 23 with 5yrs no claim bonus but only a prov licence and was stung for €1200 this year on my dragstar 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Eye wrote:
    it does suck indeed but as was just stated by enii there are only 2 (3 if you include AON) insurers for bikes :(

myself i'm 23 with 5yrs no claim bonus but only a prov licence and was stung for €1200 this year on my dragstar 650.

You have a 650cc bike on a prov licence?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thereallyreal

Have you tried Carroll Nash Insurance? Or Hibernian?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

tk123 yeah it's a dragstar 650, it's a cruiser not a sports bike, has plenty of power but because it's over 220kg dry weight it means that the power to weight ratio is just a fraction under the legal limit for what a provisional license holder can ride, provisional A license that is.

also it's in group 5 insurance so alot lower than any of yer fancy sports.touring machines, even the 1100 classic dragstar (which my brother had) is only in group 6 insurance :o but again an even heavier bike ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

jammy!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

heh
    full license ,22, 2 yrs ncb, 1700 on a 125 virago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eye wrote:
    tk123 yeah it's a dragstar 650, it's a cruiser not a sports bike, has plenty of power but because it's over 220kg dry weight it means that the power to weight ratio is just a fraction under the legal limit for what a provisional license holder can ride, provisional A license that is.

also it's in group 5 insurance so alot lower than any of yer fancy sports.touring machines, even the 1100 classic dragstar (which my brother had) is only in group 6 insurance :o but again an even heavier bike ;)
    You live *outside* of Dublin I assume? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

KatieK wrote:
    Whats the verdict on motorbike insurance? (Or are ye all car drivers?) 2 grand for a 16yr old to drive a scooter seems a bit steep to me.

Just make sure your life and medical insurance is up to date.....you might need them to make it to 17...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ive a dragstar 650 aswell, 25 and paying 940 for third party with Carole Nash. (provisional, 2 years no claims)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Gav1n

2,000 for a 50cc moped?! That's Bo*ix!!! If you think about it, you could probably get a taxi, anytime you wanted to go somewhere, for a whole year! And it might even work out cheaper! lol

I was lucky, when i had a moped and i was 16 i think the insuarnce was only 500 punds, and that was 4years ago, with a provisional licence and a 50cc Honda X8r.

If you're gona insure a moped and you're young, I suggest that you look for a Brokers called Atlantic Insurance, you'll find them in the golden pages! :D My mate that bought the moped from me is insured for something like 700yoyos, and i think he's only 16! It's worth checkin out!

Advertisement