Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number died Famine

Options
  • 10-11-2004 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Any body know

1)The number of people who died in the irish potato famine?(.5 - 1.5 million)
    2)The number of people who emigrated during the famine?(1 million)
    3)Population of ireland before the famine?(6.5 million)
    i heard

or
    links to sites with this info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Too lazy to search for you, but I know its on the internet, and Google knows the internet pretty well.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

yea lots of different answers

looking for anybody who knows Offical Irish Government/English Governemnt figures with links to said

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

madramor wrote:
    Any body know

1)The number of people who died in the irish potato famine?(.5 - 1.5 million)
    2)The number of people who emigrated during the famine?(1 million)
    3)Population of ireland before the famine?(6.5 million)
    i heard

or
    links to sites with this info?
    3) 8 million IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The numbers that stuck with me (could be wrong of course) are:

Population before famine: 8 million
    Died: 1 million
    Emigrated: 1 million

The average poor man's diet before the famine consisted of 11 (large) potatoes and 3 pints of milk a day :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

IIRC it was actually buttermilk which was even less nutritious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

1841 population N&S 8,177,800 (republic 6.5)
    1851 population N&S 6,554,100 (republic 5.1)

1,623,700 drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

There's still a historical debate on the issue of how many people actually died during the famine. the 1841 census gave roughly 8.2 m population for Ireland, but historians debate over the stats- general consensus is around 800,000-to near 1 million. Daly presented a figure of 500,000 about twenty years back but was castigated for doing so.

Advertisement