Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup QF draw

• 11-11-2004 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Oh jaysus

Watford v Portsmouth
    Tottenham v Liverpool
    Fulham v Chelsea
    Manchester Utd v Arsenal

Matches to be played week commencing 29 November

There will be skin and hair flying! Wonder will the Gooner Juniors and the ManYoo Youths be as fired up as their elder club mates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Oh jaysus

Watford v Portsmouth
    Tottenham v Liverpool
    Fulham v Chelsea
    Manchester Utd v Arsenal

Matches to be played week commencing 29 November

There will be skin and hair flying! Wonder will the Gooner Juniors and the ManYoo Youths be as fired up as their elder club mates?

wonder will either of them play more first-teamers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i think we'll see a mix of old and young, not just youngsters in this match. too big to just dismiss, the match is bigger than the competition its being played in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think Wenger will stick with his youth team for this. Utd will have at least one or 2 of Saha, Smith, Rooney. Prob miller and kleberson djemba and o shea will be in def

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i was hoping liverpool would get a bigger match at least we could of got some air-time but this way we go through so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mayordenis wrote:
    i was hoping liverpool would get a bigger match at least we could of got some air-time but this way we go through so

You're sailing dangerously close to some -rep there sunshine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think Wenger will stick with his kids while Fergie will mix it with youth and experience. With United being 11 points behind in the Premiership Fergie will be wanting to win as much silver-ware as possible such as Carling Cup/FA Cup/Europe Cup so i think he will put a strong team out there. its a great draw and i hope United can win this Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mayordenis wrote:
    Wouldn't there be a televised match each night? I want to see Spudrs -v- Pool for the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I wouldnt consider the spurs game easy for Liverpool in the least. Will be a tough one.

Just checked the flight situation. Both Tuesday and Wednesday nights to Stansted are very cheap with Ryanair, now if only my Spurs membership comes through in time I may be able to pick up a ticket and head over...

Anyone know if Stansted airport is any use for an overnight stay? Could do with saving on a hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

oh no he must be so affraid.......

the United vs Arsenal match should be intersting, wonder who the ref is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Memnoch wrote:
    oh no he must be so affraid.......

the United vs Arsenal match should be intersting, wonder who the ref is

There's only one ref with the proven skills to handle this match, It has to be Mike Reilly.

Gandalf will you start a thread for this match in the Thunderdome or will we start it here and you can move it later. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I wouldn't be too confident of Liverpool going through against Spurs. Rafa will most likely field a similar youth team to last night but I think spurs will field a fairly strong team, they'd be more keen to win it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone know if Stansted airport is any use for an overnight stay? Could do with saving on a hotel.

GF has done it 3-4 times now! aint to comfie but sure usually you only stay there for a few hours so not too bad! just pack a few comfy jumpers and use them as pillows and ur sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Do you mean sleep in the airport? I've done it, not too bad - usually plenty of others doing the same thing.

Getting to and White Hart Lane you'll probably have to get the train to central London from the airport and then back up to North London to the ground. Don't hold me to that though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

benitez has said that he will stick with the youngsters as long as they keep goin in this competition which is something we were missing under Houllier.
    Away to spurs will be tough though, they'l have a full strength team out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Could also be used as a match for Gerrard to work on his fitness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

excellent. if it wasnt watford, i would have gone for liverpool home or away.
    without cisse, liverpool look medicore.
    and i say that as a compliment.
    i think spurs will put at least 3 past them

The Muppet wrote:
    There's only one ref with the proven skills to handle this match, It has to be Mike Reilly.

Gandalf will you start a thread for this match in the Thunderdome or will we start it here and you can move it later. ;)

i hope you are joking. That Mike Riley guy is a joke. How many penalties has he awarded United now? He should be barred from officiating United games. Wouldn't be surprised if he was on the take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Memnoch wrote:
    Wouldn't be surprised if he was on the take

wow. spuriuos allegations all the rage. :rolleyes:

uberwolf wrote:
    wow. spuriuos allegations all the rage. :rolleyes:

its simply my opinion. Also saying "I wouldn't be surprised if" is a whole lot different to "I am certain of" which is what would be required of a spurious allegation one would think.

But after all the conterversy surrounding the last match between United and Arsenal and the fact that a lot of it was centered around this referee it only makes sense for him to NOT BE INVOLVED on this occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Memnoch wrote:
    this referee it only makes sense for him to NOT BE INVOLVED on this occasion.

I would agree with this much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

stanstead to white hart lane is really easy to do.. the stanstead express stops at totenham hale which is a 20min walk from the ground..follow the road that the bp is on to high road and vere right and follow the crowd.

trains run every half hour.. as i am a student i get it for £11 return...they do one day return savers.

stanstead is not the greatest to sleep in as they are fond of arm rests on the seet..there are some without them but i think thats just after security....you could sleep on top of 2 rows of chairs which are back to back but be careful not to fall off!!!

been to the last 3 home games and going to the arse on sat...then i am giving it a miss for a couple of months... each flight cost 44e inc taxes!!

should be a good game and our best chance for europe...have a good time

sikes wrote:
    stanstead to white hart lane is really easy to do.. the stanstead express stops at totenham hale which is a 20min walk from the ground..follow the road that the bp is on to high road and vere right and follow the crowd.

Cheers sikes, done it a few times now but we still took the wrong road last Saturday and ended up back at Seven Sisters. D'oh!
    sikes wrote:
    stanstead is not the greatest to sleep in as they are fond of arm rests on the seet..there are some without them but i think thats just after security....you could sleep on top of 2 rows of chairs which are back to back but be careful not to fall off!!!

Still not certain. Haven't got my membership number yet (does it take them long to process a membership application?) and depending on the night its on I may not be able to get the time off work. WIP we'll call it...

Memnoch wrote:
    i hope you are joking. That Mike Riley guy is a joke. How many penalties has he awarded United now?

Garcon! Sense of humour for table 2!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal will put out a very young side (the average age of the team at the end of the game was 20!, and they beat a near full strength Everton side)

If its young Arsenal Vs young Utd then Arsenal will win but if Fergie is desperate enough to win this trophy then id expect a Decent enough Utd side which should pull through easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget youth! I hope Rafa does what Houlier did with the LC and put out a full strength team for the quaters and take it from there. No point in doing any different as it could easily be the trophy we have the best chance of winning.

I think Utd should take the same approach given thier league form.:)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In all fairness, nobody with any sense gives a damn about reputation.

This game will be huge. too close to call who will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Man Utd's don't play their youth side in the league cup, they play their backup team.

Manchester United
    Starting XI
    1. Howard, Tim
    3. Neville, Philip
    6. Brown, Wes
    22. O`Shea, John
    25. Fortune, Quinton
    15. Kleberson
    24. Fletcher, Darren
    19. Djemba-Djemba, Eric
    23. Richardson, Kieran
    12. Bellion, David
    9. Saha, Louis

I honastly think if it stays a backup vs youth united would hammer em, but I Have a feeling both managers will want to win this just for pride.

I think the best thing that could happen for either side is for another side to field a decent first team team.
    If I was fergie I'd play the ****test side we had :) I'm talking 16 year olds, then hope to god Wenger puts out Henry and Vieira, it'd be a laugh.

I don't think Fergie should risk putting out a good side though.
    If they play a **** side and win it won't matter and it'll give wenger a bit of an edge.
    If they play a **** side and lose then rofl
    If they play a decent side and lose, then it'll make aresnal feel better.
    If they play a decent side and win, then good, but I don't think thats a guarentee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

United Reserves V Crystal Palace Reserves score : 2-0(Speroni , Palace's second choice keeper at fault for both goals) .

Arsenal U21 V Everton(first team) 3-1 .

I wouldn't be that confident of hammering Arsenal youngsters if I were you PHB .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

thinking of heading over to this match, tickets should be relatively easy to pick up. utd -v- arsenal at old trafford, at night under floodlights, fergie standing with wenger side by side.

its tempting i must say.

Big Ears wrote:
    United Reserves V Crystal Palace Reserves score : 2-0(Speroni , Palace's second choice keeper at fault for both goals) .
    Yeah, I was suprised to see Palace made 11 changes from the team that drew with Arsenal in their previous match. I didn't think they'd have the strength in depth to come out of Old Trafford with only a 2-0 defeat. United had a decent team out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The same thing happened in a Carling Cup QF at Highbury about 3 years ago. United played reserves + a couple of first-teamers, and Arsenal played a youth team with a couple of reserves. It was the night Paul Scholes infamously decided he couldn't be bothered turning up to play...

(Some might wish he did the same thing now.) :p

cheesedude wrote:
    In all fairness, nobody with any sense gives a damn about reputation.

In fairness, I was taking the pi*s.

Jebus, what are they teaching you kids these days?

Arsenal youth are looking good but cup matches really come down to a lot of experience aswell, especially if you go 1-0 down.
    The reserve squad would have an average age of 23-24 and have played a lot more football.

I'd love to see Man Utd youth play though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

without cisse, liverpool look medicore.

I'm a pool fan and I think I can safely say that Cisse has done feck all, We miss Stevie G a lot more. I think it's great to see Mellor and Partridge getting a start up and Potter is coming on too. This could be our best chance at some silverware this season! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal youth are looking good but cup matches really come down to a lot of experience aswell, especially if you go 1-0 down.
    The reserve squad would have an average age of 23-24 and have played a lot more football.

I'd love to see Man Utd youth play though
    *ahem*

Would this definition include the same Arsenal youth team that came back from one-down to beat everton the other night?

mr_angry wrote:
    *ahem*

Would this definition include the same Arsenal youth team that came back from one-down to beat everton the other night?
    And Man City in the previous match. :) - Oh, smilies are back. :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

at night under floodlights, fergie standing with wenger side by side.

You make it sound so romantic! :p

Yep it would.

Coming 1-0 down from Man City and Everton is different from coming back one nil down againist Man Utd

p.s. League cup who cares :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    Coming 1-0 down from Man City and Everton is different from coming back one nil down againist Man Utd

not really .

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    p.s. League cup who cares :D
    I actually find I have more interest in the Carling Cup than I do with any other competition that Celtic aren't involved in. Its basically because its usually the start of a few Irish players careers.

Oh jaysus

There will be skin and hair flying!
    not to forget to mention pizzas and soup maybe?????

Advertisement