Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver IHP-140 questions

Options
  • 11-11-2004 2:00am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭

I've finally got my hands on one of these little beauties, but before I start some serious mucking about with it, could I ask those who've had one for a while a few questions:

- The installed firmware is v1.31. Will the latest firmware upgrade include all previous upgrades or should I download everything since the installed version?

- What's the best file format to use? I was thinking of using Ogg because apparently it's smaller than mp3, but are there any compelling reasons to use one over another? Or even wma for that matter?

- What bit rate should I use for encoding? I was going to use 192kb, but should I use something different?

- Anything else important I should know?

Thanks

Zaph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Use your iriver for a while.
    If it's working fine, don't upgrade the firmware.
    Ain't broke, don't fix etc.

As for format, some people say playing .ogg wears the battery faster than mp3/wma.

192 bitrate should be more than enough.
    Most of mine at 128 and personally i can't hear the difference between 128 and 192 but there are many that say they can.

If you're transferring files to/from the iriver, plug it in with the adapter.
    Transferring kills the battery.
    Recording is also tough on the battery.
    You don't need to let the battery die before recharging.
    It can be topped up whenever you need to.

Killian

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for the info Killian. The only reason I was going to upgrade the firmware now is that I saw someone suggesting it on a previous thread. I don't think I'll be going above 192kb for the bitrate, but interesting to hear hat 128kb could be sufficient. Must give it a go. Any idea why ogg might hit the battery harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

There's probably just a bigger processing overhead in decoding ogg than the other formats.
    I'm not sure if this is addressed in firmware updates.

There's a good website for all things iriver here.

Killian

Advertisement