Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Popups on Internet

• 11-11-2004 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Have just got the internet at home, and I am constantly getting annoying popups trying to sell me everything and anything!

Is there any way of stopping these from coming up? Why do they come up so often at home, they dont come up that often when surf in work!

I had a look under Internet Options but couldnt find anything striking in here.

I am running on XP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

bedlam wrote:
    First off scan your computer with Ad-Aware and / or Spybot search and destroy and fix anything it finds.

Then consider either getting Firefox which has built in popup blocking or getting and add on for IE that does the same.

Will Firefox block every single popup? For example - some sites have popups which are fine - searching on ebookers, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can block all popups, and specify a list of sites that are allowed them.

You can block all popups, and specify a list of sites that are allowed them.

Ok great - thanks doodle_sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Some ISP's also provide a popup blocker in the browser toolbar. You can also allow popup's from trusted sites.

For exmple:

http://home.eircom.net/html/eircomtoolbar/accept_terms.html

or

http://toolbar.google.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you get firefox - get the adblock extension for even more tweaks
    do a forum search for spybot , spywareblaster
    turn off vb scripting / active x / setup trusted zones in IE too.

• Advertisement

If you get firefox - get the adblock extension for even more tweaks
    do a forum search for spybot , spywareblaster

Ok - thanks - will give it a go tonight - they're such a pain in the ass - makes the internet really really slow!

Thanks guys!

how do i turn these off?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how do i turn these off?
    Tools - Internet Options - Advanced
    lots of buttons in there - make a note of anything you change because they are needed by some sites,
    Also turn off Play Videos & Play Sounds automatically to save bandwidth - these keep getting turned on again - real pain on dialup.

There is also the security tab so you can allow this junk to run on sites that need it.

Thanks Capt'n - just one more quick question....

Some website has planted an advert on my pc as a wallpaper background and I cant get rid of it! Its some ad saying that my pc is in danger of viruses and the likes, I tried changing it using the normal control panel way but it wont work! Its got hyper-links on it that keeps bringing up my dial-up connection window - its driving me crazy!

Any idea on how to get rid of it??

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It has probably done this by making itself a webpage.. if its XP or 2k right click and go to active desktop and turn it off. If its still there (yes its possible if XP) if you right click and go to properties and there should be a button there for advanced or desktop items or something.. its one of them.. dont use XP any more so cant remember. Anyway you can turn it off there if you find it.

Oh go to www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn and use his tools.. they are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Some website has planted an advert on my pc as a wallpaper background and I cant get rid of it! Its some ad saying that my pc is in danger of viruses and the likes, I tried changing it using the normal control panel way but it wont work! Its got hyper-links on it that keeps bringing up my dial-up connection window - its driving me crazy

Goto Control panel, Display
    Click on Desktop
    Click on 'Customize Desktop'
    On the box that pops up, click on 'Web'

Untick any of the boxs and click Ok.

I think thats the way I did it, it was about 6 weeks ago so I cant remember if its the exact procedure or not

Thanks lads - I will try this when I get home tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ando wrote:
    Goto Control panel, Display
    Click on Desktop
    Click on 'Customize Desktop'
    On the box that pops up, click on 'Web'

Untick any of the boxs and click Ok.

I think thats the way I did it, it was about 6 weeks ago so I cant remember if its the exact procedure or not

I'd imagine that this may prevent it being shown, but would certainly not remove it from the system.

What would I know - I took the firefox evangilism to the next level. Just get a mac ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

uberwolf wrote:
    Just get a mac ;)

oh dear god, someone help this guy

Advertisement