Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR

Options
  • 03-04-2001 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I havent read it in 5 years(since i was 11) and i must admit i am amazed at this book. One thing i noticed, is that there is an underlying tone of regret and sadness through the whole book, and that there are opportunities for literally hundreds of spin off books to be written/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sadness part perhaps because it was planned/written during WWII when England (shires) were under threat.

On a lighter note, did anyone else go to the Hobbit Stage play in Feb. It was very well acted, though I'm not too sure Tolkein had line-dancing in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Manach:
    Sadness part perhaps because it was planned/written during WWII when England (shires) were under threat.

On a lighter note, did anyone else go to the Hobbit Stage play in Feb. It was very well acted, though I'm not too sure Tolkein had line-dancing in the book.
    </font>

im not sure when the book was finished, but i do know that it was written over a period of many years. i think he did a lot of re-writting during the war years, and i think he made it a littel murkier because of this.
    mind you, im still stuck on chapter 3 for the past 3 months, must actually try and read it again as it has been about 15 years since i last read it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

No not that, it's the constant referrals to how midle earth is dying and to the glory days thousands of years ago...

Advertisement