Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Oil Boiler

Options
  • 11-11-2004 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I let my Oil go down too low and after I got more Oil on tuesday, when I tried turning the Oil on - none of the Radiators were hot.

I asked around and most people told me to just turn the heat on, loosed the allen Key until the air comes out and it should work fine.

I did that, no air came out. There is a red button with an LED on the side of the Boiler unit, when I press that, a fan of some sort kicks in for about 6/7 seconds then stops. The Oil is not being lit and as such, theres no heat. I've tried looking for any other Allen Key nuts, but there are none. Nothing else seems to have changed so all signs point to an air lock.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

niallo32 wrote:
    I let my Oil go down too low and after I got more Oil on tuesday, when I tried turning the Oil on - none of the Radiators were hot.

I asked around and most people told me to just turn the heat on, loosed the allen Key until the air comes out and it should work fine.

I did that, no air came out. There is a red button with an LED on the side of the Boiler unit, when I press that, a fan of some sort kicks in for about 6/7 seconds then stops. The Oil is not being lit and as such, theres no heat. I've tried looking for any other Allen Key nuts, but there are none. Nothing else seems to have changed so all signs point to an air lock.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

You have an air lock in your burner. When you let the oil run down, air got up the oil line from the tank to the burner. When that happens, the burner goes into a state which is called 'lock-out'. That is what the red button indicates when it illuminates.

You need to press the button to start the burner. You will hear the pump start. Open the oil bleed screw on the burner about a quarter turn and put a small cup underneath it. After 3-4 seconds oil should start coming out. Close the screw and the burner will fire up.

The bleed screw is normally located to the front of the burner just underneath and is possibly a 10mm hex head.

See thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183145
    for reference information

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

When was the boiler last serviced?
    It does seem like an airlock though.
    Has any crap from the bottom of the tank gotten into the pipe from the tank to the boiler.
    Check out this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dodger wrote:
    Has any crap from the bottom of the tank gotten into the pipe from the tank to the boiler.
    yeah, check filter / sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Thanks for the details here, worked a treat for me last night.

BTW it's probably obvious to anyone else but to get to the bleed nut on my boiler (bentone b10e) I had to take the cover off first. Any rubber gloves wouldn't go astray, my hands stung a bit afterwards!

Advertisement