Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another .ie thread!

Options
  • 11-11-2004 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Is it true now that all you need to do is supply the companies incorporated number/business number when applying for a domain? No more faxing documents etc?

Also and feel free to edit this mods - whats the best deal for a small business setting up a new .ie with hosting - €95 on freehost which I take it is + VAT but that shouldn't matter to the business who can claim it back etc looks good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

buddy wrote:
    Is it true now that all you need to do is supply the companies incorporated number/business number when applying for a domain? No more faxing documents etc?

Yes. Unless you are trying to get a domain other than "yourcompany.ie" or similar.
    buddy wrote:
    Also and feel free to edit this mods - whats the best deal for a small business setting up a new .ie with hosting - €95 on freehost which I take it is + VAT but that shouldn't matter to the business who can claim it back etc looks good.
    It depends what you want/need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Cool. Much easier.

They'd need a low bandwidth small business site to refer customers to to see pictures of what they have for sale. 50MB space should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

IEDR require very little or no paperwork in 80% of cases now. Just send in the RBN or CRO number and bobs yer domain :) In most cases, the domain is also registered and live the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

If!! ya get the order in before 3pm :), typically after this it wont be live till the following morning. it is fairly quick otherwise.

Paul

Cool. That sounds much better than the days of yore.

• Advertisement

It makes life a lot easier for all parties concerned :D

Now if there was an API .....

API? Methinks we still need a registry that operates according to the laws of physics! Roll on de-regulation! There are still far too many 'odd' policies and practices surrounding .ie domain, although major strides have been made to improve it, it is still the most manually intensive thing we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

API? Methinks we still need a registry that operates according to the laws of physics! Roll on de-regulation! There are still far too many 'odd' policies and practices surrounding .ie domain, although major strides have been made to improve it, it is still the most manually intensive thing we do.
    I don't think IEDR's system is up to handling an API. It does not have a proper registry-registrars design. Though the idea of putting the operation of .ie out to tender does have a lot of merit.

The whole 'uniqueness' of .ie has been undermined by IEDR's management. The opening of the domain to non-Irish registrants on the basis of an invoice to an Irish company as proof of a substantive connection to Ireland is dubious at best . Perhaps ComReg should consider deregulating .ie completely. Maybe then the cctld would be reasonably priced. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant

Why does this sound like something I've heard you say before ??

blacknight wrote:
    Why does this sound like something I've heard you say before ??
    Because someone has got to be objective and say what should be said. :) How would things get changed otherwise - the IE Advisory Group? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote:
    Because someone has got to be objective and say what should be said. :) How would things get changed otherwise - the IE Advisory Group? :)

Regards...jmcc

Well there is also the IIA working group which will be dealing with this and other issues, such as DROA.

blacknight wrote:
    Well there is also the IIA working group which will be dealing with this and other issues, such as DROA.
    Would it be worth joining IIA just to join this group or can anyone join regardless of IIA membership status? But will this group have any effect on ComReg or IEDR on the ultimately important pricing issue of .ie?

Regards...jmcc

I didn't realise I'd spark such a debate :)

jmcc wrote:
    Would it be worth joining IIA just to join this group or can anyone join regardless of IIA membership status?

You'd have to be an IIA member to get involved in one of its working groups afaik.
    jmcc wrote:
    But will this group have any effect on ComReg or IEDR on the ultimately important pricing issue of .ie?

Regards...jmcc
    Possibly. It's impossible to say, so anything I say is merely conjecture and opinion and not fact.

blacknight wrote:
    You'd have to be an IIA member to get involved in one of its working groups afaik.
    Ironic that. :) Though it does limit IIA to a narrow range of information.
    Possibly. It's impossible to say, so anything I say is merely conjecture and opinion and not fact.
    Whereas what I say about .ie/IEDR is factual and based on the data? ;)

Regards...jmcc

How representative is the IIA working group also for that matter? Can they effect real change with the IEDR or Comreg?

How representative is the IIA working group also for that matter? Can they effect real change with the IEDR or Comreg?
    Well IIA has a few of the larger hosters as members and probably represents a high percentage of the hosting business as a result. The effect of the group would be interesting. ComReg may be more inclined to take notice of recommendations of an IIA backed group than those of a purely loosely associated industry grouping.

However I am not sure that the IIA's backing of a complete .ie deregulation is a step in the right direction. A complete deregulation (unmanaged) registry for .ie would dilute the integrity of .ie cctld and open it to all types of parasites like cybersquatters. The main problem with .ie is the price. If the IIA working group succeeds in getting IEDR to significantly lower the price on .ie, then it would be worth supporting its efforts. Do you really want to see scum like Ultsearch.com [1] allowed to register .ie domains?

Regards...jmcc
    [1] Ultsearch.com is a notorious Hong Kong based cybersquatter operation that has has registered over 100K domains that have lapsed/dropped.

Advertisement