Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Abu Ala, A.K.A. Yasser Arafat.

• 11-11-2004 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Let's hope now that they release Marwhan Barghouti to take over, which I dont believe they will, if they were interested in peace they would release the only moderate who is that way inclined.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Politics forum is that way -->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Arafats death is a world event, not just political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Yes it was definitely glamorous living in Ramallah in the compound for the last two years. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ah so we did understand what Al Jazeera were on about

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    ah so we did understand what Al Jazeera were on about

?

we were flicking through the tv last night and came across Al Jazeera and we said Arafat must be dead

ah ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Yes it was definitely glamorous living in Ramallah in the compound for the last two years. :rolleyes:

interesting u say that considering he supposedly siphoned off millions into his own bank accounts and apparently (i can't remember the figures for this) but when they got a new finance minister in to do the books was it some 3 or 30 or 300 million they couldn't locate???? So I'd say yeah he was living the high life blub and I can guess his compound was remarkably comfy compared to what his ppl lived/live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sure I may as well crosspost this from Soccer:

Arafat was a huge fan of British football, he's being buried in a Newcastle shirt, Tottenham shorts, and Rangers socks.

He wants to make sure he's buried in the Gazza Strip.

Arf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Sure I may as well crosspost this from Soccer:

Arafat was a huge fan of British football, he's being buried in a Newcastle shirt, Tottenham shorts, and Rangers socks.

Arf.

Ba doom tish

interesting u say that considering he supposedly siphoned off millions into his own bank accounts and apparently (i can't remember the figures for this) but when they got a new finance minister in to do the books was it some 3 or 30 or 300 million they couldn't locate???? So I'd say yeah he was living the high life blub and I can guess his compound was remarkably comfy compared to what his ppl lived/live in.

It appears that he was lining his nest yes, I did not deny this, to say that he was living the high life is anything but true.

When is the last time he left Palestine? When was the last time he left the compound?

His wife in Paris appears to have lived a very wealthy life and he did have his faults.

Yes this luxurious compound http://www.pazahora.org/img/muqatapazahora.jpg
    http://www.aljazeerah.info/News%20photo%20negatives/News%20picture%20negatives/August%202002%20negatives/1_111729_1_17.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Blub2k4 wrote:
    When is the last time he left Palestine? When was the last time he left the compound?

It could be argued that thats no less than he deserved but I'm not the person to argue it as my knowledge of Arafat is limited

It could be argued that thats no less than he deserved but I'm not the person to argue it as my knowledge of Arafat is limited

Not a good argument to start then really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

RIP Yasser.

One of the great world leaders has left the political stage. He was a constant beacon of hope to the Palestian People when no one else was fighting their corner.

Sure hes made mistakes but at least hes tried to steer The Palestians towards peace and fought for an Independent Palestine State.

Hes hardly been living it up, hes lived a frugal live and spent the last three years (often been shelled on a daily basis by the Israelis) holed up in his Bunker surrounded by tank traps, rubble and the IDF.

To the previous posters u must have the wrong Afarat, thats his wife , whose been slumming it for the past few year in a 5 star Paris Hotel. (right on sister :| )

There should be an independent Sovereign Palestine State (at peace with Israel) if this happened it would surely be Arafat's rightful legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

He ran off to suck up to Saddam in 1990. Big mistake.

He was around too long, should have retired at least 10 years ago.

*groan* but it made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

RIP Yasser.

One of the great world leaders has left the political stage. He was a constant beacon of hope to the Palestian People when no one else was fighting their corner.

Sure hes made mistakes but at least hes tried to steer The Palestians towards peace and fought for an Independent Palestine State.

Hes hardly been living it up, hes lived a frugal live and spent the last three years (often been shelled on a daily basis by the Israelis) holed up in his Bunker surrounded by tank traps, rubble and the IDF.

To the previous posters u must have the wrong Afarat, thats his wife , whose been slumming it for the past few year in a 5 star Paris Hotel. (right on sister :| )

There should be an independent Sovereign Palestine State (at peace with Israel) if this happened it would surely be Arafat's rightful legacy.

Here Here well said

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

pork99 wrote:
    He ran off to suck up to Saddam in 1990. Big mistake.

He was around too long, should have retired at least 10 years ago.

Yes it was, but is it not a measure of the man that he bounced back and regained and retained a lot of world support.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Here's hoping he has a very uncomfortable hole in hell to spend eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RIP Yasser

but at least hes tried to steer The Palestians towards peace.

Did he ? Maybe he did but it would have to have been on his terms. As I understand it he wasn't big on negotiataing a resolution to the conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Not so sure about the whole 'Arafat the peacemonger' idea thats going on. Bit of a bullyboy in his heyday and never really changed much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Amazing that people here already see through him and his legacy rather than paying silly political party imposed tribute as if he was a hero. Have to admit though that I too was pretty much brainwashed during the past 3 decades

I will never forget the moment that my youngest sister aged 2 pointed her finger at the television and pronounced "that is Yasser Arafat" and we all thought that was great cause Yasser was the underdog in the struggle for peace on earth in his area

Good riddance off a hypocritical egocentrical capitalist that did not care at all about his people, only about himself, himself, himself and his family. Let's now make sure we create a sovereign Palestinian state. Make Israel retreat from all occupied territories

Surely all non-corrupt parties involved will agree to this. It can be done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Venom =Troll + are u Jewish?
    Yasser never left his ppl until the very end, he clearly was a very selfless person, its also clear he was a very sick man when he finally sought medical attention in Paris. He was part of the failed Peace Accord with Clinton and that failed not by PLO intransigence but Israeli failure to keep their side of the bargain, ie moving out settlements from areas that were to be given back to the Palestine.

Its really sad that Middle east politics have moved to the extreme end of the speactrum and there isnt any common ground to be found. Lets not forget that Ariel Sharon was a Death Squad Commander in the IDF, and that Idiot Bush has let the Israelis do exactly what they want beacuse he has allowed the Israelis to use the 'one size fits all' terrorism tag.

+The PLO fight a just cause, Palestine IS their homeland and they deserve to live there in peace, where as the State of Israel is still a 'young country' which has planted itself on contested holy gorund and invited Jewish ppl form arround the world to come live with us etc, a lot off Jewish ppl in Israel have no connection with the area, have no right to be there, except their misplaced reglious devine right to come in and kick out native palestians who've lived there for hundreds if years.

Yasser Arafat was a charismatic world leader who should be remembered as the revolutionary who brought the plight of the Palestians to the Worlds attention. RIP Yasser.

Advertisement