Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 16-01-2001 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Ive just started reading this book, and all I can say is, fukin hell!
    Who else has read this? Lots of people I hope. Its damned good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bah, I've gone to the trouble of opening this thread... the least you could do is tell me what the book is about.
    ffs like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've ordered it so I should have it by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A really great book indeed.

Stay away from the awful movie with Jemery Irons from the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

For the benefit of Dead{o}Santa:

Written by George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) many moons ago. This was his fictional prediction of what the year 1984 would be like. Super duper, doubleplus good chilling reading. smile.gif All sorts of lessons to be learned from within it's folds - BUY NOW I ORDER YOU.

You will have nay a regret, my comrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Occasionally you see stuff on the news and whatnot that makes you wonder if the world mightn't be a better place if Orwell had been more correct in his predictions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The film of 1984 was ace (Jeremy Irons wasn't in it btw, John Hurt was). It's the best cinematic translation of a book I've ever seen. Completely bleak, and has a style exactly as I think Orwell would have imagined it.

And whoever started this thread.. following on the theme of books.. the next one you should try (if you haven't already) is "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Similar kind of subject (world gone wrong), although not as well written as 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

but i disagree.
    i hold brave new world to be better as its scenario is far more likely to unfold.
    it is chilling to read this novel from the 20s and look at the parallels.

orwell however is the great great One, isnt he? anyone can read him and enjoy the book on a number of levels, regardless of their tastes.
    his style is so precise and efficient- a joy to read. but i still think a brave new world rocks more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I preferred Brave New World as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

John Hurt, Jemery Irons - same thing wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Jeremy Irons lives near me. I had lunch with him once actually.
    Well....
    not so much lunch, and a little more like I sat in his jeep next to him while he ate a bagette, but it WAS lunch to him :P

Still, it shows what good people these movie stars are - that he picked up an 'aul hitch-hiker like me (in the freezing cold and rain I might add). smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

When I got 1984 out of the library I got about 100 pages in and then found that some fool had ripped out the next one hundred or so pages. Bah!

I should read it again though.

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yes, you should.

Its really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i had lunch with dr greene, (anthony edwards) from ER.
    he is much taller than i expected.

smile.gif
    he also bought a copy of that sub totskyite rag, the irish times. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Excelsior is a dirty rotten liar. He did NOT have lunch with that guy. He was sitting in MacDonalds and he saw him a few tables away.

smile.gif

Hehehe Excelsior - bet you won't be printing any more of your lies. (Alternatively you may just never speak to me again. smile.gif)

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

someone once told me to read 1984, then gave me a copy of that Brave New World, but i havent got around to reading it yet (i will).
    But isnt that where they got the name for the show Big Brother? out of 1984?
    the guy said that people are constantly being watched and theres big messages saying "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU".
    Dont know if it's true or not, but theres something to tell your ma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

A good book is never forgotten (see other thread) smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Double plus good!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

havn't read 1984, but liked Animal Farm.

thats it. i've decided. i'm going to buy the book today.

-ciaran
    ciaran@ieatcatsforfun.com
    smoke-me-a-kipper@ihateclowns.com

This post has been brought to you by the letter C, and the number 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i take it half of you are under 17/18 then as 1984 is on the sylibus for english....
    excellent book. makes room 101 on tele make sense really.
    no, its not about biology 101 lessons as in american colleges etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

A world where history is erased at will and where words can be selectively changed by an oppressive authority. Where rights are reduced in the name of the common good. Where an imaginary threat is used to keep the population loyal.

But enough about boards.ie, 1984 was brilliant!!! wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
Advertisement