Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can Military Police issues speeding ticket?

Options
  • 11-11-2004 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Between Fermoy and Mitchelstown in Cork there is a large army barracks.

Today I saw them at the side of the road with the olde hair dryer and they had just caught a ford focus.

I was sure Military Police had no jurisdiction over the public.

Anyone know any different?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

no idea but i saw them on that stretch of road about a year ago and i went past them hell for leather.......... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'd say it was the lads taking the piss

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I dont think they have any authority on civilian roads ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

sharkman wrote:
    I dont think they have any authority on civilian roads ..

They do to a point..They can stop traffic on public roads when they have a convoy, there is a place in Cork (kilworth?) where I have seen them stop traffic while a convoy pulls out especially in the summer, they can also pull army trucks for speeding on public roads too, so what you saw was probably them practicing with one of their own in a civilian car, but they cant pull a regular joe for speeding.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Perhaps the revolution has begun ......

Military law imposed in Cork !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I was sure they could not stop the public for speeding either but this really looked like the real deal.

As Nuttzz said they can stop traffic for convoys and I have seen this many times.

Because the Gardai are under pressure to stop speeding maybe they are thinking of getting the army to help and what I saw was a trial run.

I hope not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Today I saw them at the side of the road with the olde hair dryer and they had just caught a ford focus.

eh no thay don't at best theay 'are an aid to the civil powers'

Chances are they're trying to catch their own squaddies, who may be telling the local plod that they can't touch military vehicles/ vehicles driven by military personnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

sharkman wrote:

You knows its a coup de tat when the army is out doing the services of civil agencies... next thing you know, army doctors will be in the hospitals, and air corp pilots flying for Aer Lingus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sha

Im Pass that Barracks every Morn and there rarely there, it wouldnt, be the military Cops that wud be there it,d be the fermoy or M Town Gardai. I was caught few weeks ago at that spot, got points in the post !! :o

Thats the cops usual hang out spot , so watch out !!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

No they can't it is for military vehicles and Fermoy barracks is no more but kilworth is close by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sha

woody wrote:
    No they can't it is for military vehicles and Fermoy barracks is no more but kilworth is close by

Woody you Talk a load of **** !!!! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

sharkman wrote:

As long as they start the purges down there, I don't mind.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Robbo wrote:
    As long as they start the purges down there, I don't mind.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Unfortunately you will be one of the first to go into the stock-pot. You mis-read the book where it actually says 'The GEEK shall inherit the earth', it just wasn't specific about which one, but I reckon he is over on the Games forum right now.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nuttzz wrote:
    They do to a point..They can stop traffic on public roads when they have a convoy, there is a place in Cork (kilworth?) where I have seen them stop traffic while a convoy pulls out especially in the summer, they can also pull army trucks for speeding on public roads too, so what you saw was probably them practicing with one of their own in a civilian car, but they cant pull a regular joe for speeding.

The military have no power to stop traffic nor issue speeding tickets. No more than any joe bloggs. As for them stopping traffic to let a convoy out, that's the same as a builder stopping traffic to allow a truck pull out. It's just people stopping.

Unless there is a Garda there, the military have no legal powers. Oh, and they can't even pull over a soldier speeding on the road, unless he's in uniform and on official army business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Paulw wrote:
    The military have no power to stop traffic nor issue speeding tickets. No more than any joe bloggs. As for them stopping traffic to let a convoy out, that's the same as a builder stopping traffic to allow a truck pull out. It's just people stopping.

Unless there is a Garda there, the military have no legal powers. Oh, and they can't even pull over a soldier speeding on the road, unless he's in uniform and on official army business.

Thats what I meant

"they can also pull army trucks for speeding on public roads too"
    I would assume that the driver of the truck would be in uniform and on offical army business if he was driving an army truck. He'd hardly be taking it home for the weekend......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Nuttzz wrote:
    He'd hardly be taking it home for the weekend......

Being the Irish army I wouldn't be so sure, though most of our local army personnel spend their weekends as doormen, driving taxis, or catering weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Come on lads get with the program!
    Has anybody ever seen a military vehicle speeding?
    I have the greatest respect for our valiant defenders but they are not reknowned for rushing themselves.

Peacekeepers - Yes
    Pacesetters - No

Sha wrote:

Woody you Talk a load of **** !!!! :D

I was in the army you stupid c*nt, what the f*ck would you know.

Army vehicles speed sometimes they are humans and the MP's police they f*ck of ya moron

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@both sha and woody - no need for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Nuttzz wrote:
    "they can also pull army trucks for speeding on public roads too"
    I would assume that the driver of the truck would be in uniform and on offical army business if he was driving an army truck. He'd hardly be taking it home for the weekend......

Reminds me of the story in the UK about a Tank Sergeant that had just qualified! He decided to take the tank home to show him Mum! Needless to say the Gatso camera's wouldn't have known what to do there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    @both sha and woody - no need for that!

Indeed

Sha - you're banned for a week for being a muppet
    Woody - you banned for a week for not knowing better than to rise to it

PM next week for access

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

doesnt the smiley after the sentence denote what sha said was what I'd call piss taking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

Ok just to recap

Woody - yes Kilworth is closer

Sha - I pass by there regularly too. In fact go from Mictchelstown to Cork city a few time a week so boy do I know what a Gardai speed check looks like.
    This was a military jeep with a guy in army uniform with a hairdryer.

Thanks for all replies they must have been checking the speed of army vehicles - I hope :D

<rant> so much for the promise of less speed traps on long straights and more on secondary roads - the Gardai are on the Watergrasshill bypass every day of the week and I have never seen an accident there yet.</rant>

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This was a military jeep with a guy in army uniform with a hairdryer.

Maybe he was just drying his hair ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No. Not unless the country is under marshal law. Which it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Solis

parsi wrote:
    Maybe he was just drying his hair ;-)
    You know now that you mention it :)

Lads my a/c was messed with by a colleague having a laugh here hence the rather colourful response.

Yes I was in the army and also MP's are used to stop speeding FFRs, Transits and any vehicle as some soliders have been done by the civil police for speeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Hagar wrote:
    Come on lads get with the program!
    Has anybody ever seen a military vehicle speeding?
    I have the greatest respect for our valiant defenders but they are not reknowned for rushing themselves.

Peacekeepers - Yes
    Pacesetters - No
    yes i have, just because they are in the army doesnt mean they dont speed like everyone else!!! there all human afterall!!! afaik they cant stop civilian vehicles but they can stop military vehicles!!! they are out to catch them not civilians!!! though like all police they too are pigs!!! :)

They are sure bacon brigade but not as fat as coppers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jayok wrote:
    Reminds me of the story in the UK about a Tank Sergeant that had just qualified! He decided to take the tank home to show him Mum! Needless to say the Gatso camera's wouldn't have known what to do there. :D
    What about that about bit on salvage squad about the squaddie who took a stalwart back home from Germany without using a ferry !!

Advertisement