Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gemmell

Options
  • 28-03-2001 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Yup, Ravenheart is out...

Really enjoyed it, not giving anything away but its classic Gemmell - which suits me fine!

It sets itself up very well for the sequel... Wahoo!!

Any1 here ever read any James Patterson ?? Another excellent author..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I love Gemmell. Just finished Hero In The Shadows. Basically all his novels are the same, but so is every pint of lager and yet we keep drinking (or reading in Gemmells case smile.gif

Never read patterson tho. What genre?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He even uses the same little sub-plots in his
    stories. I am gettin a bit bored of the
    "He told his wife and swore her to secrecy,
    and she told her friend and swore her to
    secrecy and before the end of the day the
    whole village/town/army camp knew"

Still am looking forward to it.

You never expect the Beefy Inquisition !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Again I'm looking foward to it, but still I wonder what would happen if Gemmell tried his hand at some other genre, Romantic Fiction anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Im thinking metaphorical crossbow bolts to the heart, pangs of love that feel like daggers slicing open your spleen, and possibly little flashbacks to when vicious raiders "romanced" with the hero's first love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I enjoyed the book. Missed the second in the series though, I'll have to get it.
    slosh - did James Patterson write the Alex Cross books? if so, yeah his stuff is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah, I liked his Connavar series best (is that the H in the S one?), though Waylanders 1-3 are cool.

He is a little repetitive though! smile.gif

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Some of his books are really excellent though. I think he has written quite a few different types of books, eg, the Lion of Macedon/Prince of Darkness books or the John Shannow ones.
    I loved that Dark Moon book and the one about the Atlantis people whose city died (cant remember the name).

Heroic Fantasy.

"Evil meet my sword, SWORD MEET EVIL!!"
    ...so quoth the wise Minsc...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

His Greek ones (Lion & Prince) are highly factual and historically accurate - very close to actual events, one of the reasons I started reading his other ones.

Excellent stuff!

Al.

Advertisement