Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 11-11-2004 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, I just got ripwave and I'm wondering if my connection will be fast enough to use skype. I didn't have much time to test it last night, but I was typically getting 10-20KBps connection, though at times it was as low as 6KBps. Does anyone know the minimum bandwidth requirements for skype? I had a look around their page, but couldn't find anything there. Anyone used it, in particular over ripwave? Haven't picked up a headset yet so couldn't just try it to see...
    Thanks,
    tuco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

All I know from using it is that your upload is important. I had some of it taken up with Bittorrent (about 8kbps) and the lag was very bad.

I use RADSL btw 512/128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Using Skype here on Ripwave, it works okayish, but because ripwave tends to be a bit flaky and jumpy with pings, quite often I find I have to repeat myself a few times to others...no problem hearing them tho :) Its worth doing the Echo123 test, have a look at www.skype.com/help.html

- lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

thanks for that, appreciated.

lampsie, what sort of connection are you getting through your ripwave typically?
    I can get a fairly reliable orange light (or a green if I hold it outside the window!) which gives me the speeds I mentioned above - that similar to your set-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

I have used Skype with the 512/128 and also got lag if anything was using bandwith in the background.

Got the Ntl 1.5/256 :D but still have problems every now and then with lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

tuco wrote:
    lampsie, what sort of connection are you getting through your ripwave typically?
    I can get a fairly reliable orange light (or a green if I hold it outside the window!) which gives me the speeds I mentioned above - that similar to your set-up?

Up until about two weeks ago or so, yeah, I could use Skype pretty well with no major problems..unfortunatly if you check the other ripwave threads on Broadband you'll notice things are a bit hairy at the moment! Its worth giving it a go tho, get yourself and a mate to install it and try it out - if that works ok, SkypeOut should be fairly close to that performance :)

lamps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Skype can work on dial-up. so you should be okay.

I use Skype with Ripwave. Good most of the time for Skype to Skype, although for what eever reason Kype out only good some of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Have any of you guys used babble ?

Its not as nice looking or as stable as skype but it does allow
    you to ring landlines around the world for free. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Shiny wrote:
    ring landlines around the world for free. :D
    there's no beating that! just tried it there and it works great. might as well make full use of it while it's still free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,647 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fibonacci wrote:
    Skype can work on dial-up. so you should be okay.

In theory yes. In practice I too have found that using Skype wile P2P is running doesn't work well. I switch it off before making a call. Skype (out) is using about 50kbps up and down in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

When using these services what do most of you use to speak and hear the other person(comp spk's/mike----headphones with mic or has anyone bought/used those usb telephone handsets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

cubix wrote:
    When using these services what do most of you use to speak and hear the other person(comp spk's/mike----headphones with mic or has anyone bought/used those usb telephone handsets)

I have a Plantronics DSP 500, which I can't fault .. there are a few Windows' isms that are annoying, but I can't really fault the headset for anything .. good sounds, good mic (drops most of the very nosiy environement around me).

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I have a PhoneConnector (from PhoneConnector.com) which is a USB/RJ11 adaptor. It works but it doesn't work as well as advertised. It's supposed to be able to pick up keys pressed on the phone but I haven't been able to get that to work consistently. The phone rings when there's an incoming call, though, which is pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

just got a cheapo headset. would have gotten a bluetooth one, only they're too expensive. (kinda cancels out the benefit of skype!)

Advertisement