Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameCentral - crap crap crap crap crap!

Options
  • 11-11-2004 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I've been reading Digitiser(and later gamecentral) for years(probably 5-6).

It got worse when it became gamecentral, but still readable - but lately it's gone completely to the dogs.

The reviews are amateurish, not to mention crap.

Rome Total War - 10(wtf?)
    San Andreas - 8
    Halo 2 - 8(and says the single player is worse then Halo 1)

Anyone else feel similarly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ave wrote:
    I've been reading Digitiser(and later gamecentral) for years(probably 5-6).

It got worse when it became gamecentral, but still readable - but lately it's gone completely to the dogs.

The reviews are amateurish, not to mention crap.

Rome Total War - 10(wtf?)
    San Andreas - 8

Anyone else feel similarly?

Rome Total war got at the very least 9 from all major reviewers...why is 10 so rediculous ? its a fantastic game. Id give San Andreas a 9 myself and I aint played Halo 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

Tusky wrote:
    Rome Total war got at the very least 9 from all major reviewers...why is 10 so rediculous ? its a fantastic game. Id give San Andreas a 9 myself and I aint played Halo 2.
    Extremely buggy, badly balanced, less replayability and not a massive step up from previous version.

10 is meant to mean perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I absolutely adored Digitiser, (and Biffo's column is practically the only reason I bother to buy EDGE these days), and I agree that GameCentral is pretty dire. Their reviews are ridiculous, and smack of controversy for the sake of controversy. Reading the letter pages today, someone wrote in about the above three review scores and asked them to explain them, their attempt to justify them really showed up their lack of conviction*.

*Based on like, a 2 line reply, admittedly

For Digitiser fans: http://mrbiffo.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to love digitiser. It was the onlyn place you could get great reviews with dodgy humour since sega power stopped and Gamesmaster became crap. Gamecentral was terrible. Read it for 1 week and gave up. The news section on digitiser was great, almost on par with the eurogamer news section.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

look RTW is epic by all means 10 is fair, its unbalanced?? no its well balanced its all judgement decisions, and when we say graphics arent the only thing we should also say we look at those graphics and you must stand back and say "my God" because its the best there has ever been.
    End Transmission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Andrew Fotzpatr

i used to read digi every day for years..then channel 4 teletext dissappeared..and i cant read it anymore any else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I used to love the snakes and the hedgehogs......and the opinionated pig......thos were the days. I thought game central was ok, but i don't read reviews. Mostly i like the topics of the inbox-like when people were talking about which controller cause the most pain to hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

mayordenis wrote:
    look RTW is epic by all means 10 is fair, its unbalanced?? no its well balanced its all judgement decisions, and when we say graphics arent the only thing we should also say we look at those graphics and you must stand back and say "my God" because its the best there has ever been.
    End Transmission
    elephants and chariots.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'd say Rome: TW is about as perfect a strategy game as has ever been made. Why not give it 10? As said above: Elephants ffs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56767

Eurogamer give it 9 out of 10...I think that says enough... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yuri

what?! has the reviewer played the game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well from what ive heard the single player is just more of the same and the ending is woeful. probably leaving it open for a third or somethin but ill wait to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

krazysnake.gif

/
    moc-moc-a-moc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Actually I'm pretty sure they gave Halo 2 an 9/10.

But the review read like it was going to get something lower.

Advertisement