Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended clubs

• 11-11-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

myself and my brother are both 6 foot 4 and need to get new clubs. (both used to play before we were freaks but just getting back into it)

we'll need to get clubs with about 3 inches extra. anyone ever get extended ones before, any recommendations?

i've heard it affects club selection hugely for obvious reasons (+/- 2 clubs)

thanks,
    Karl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

I'm 6'3 and have been advised by two different pro's to get between a half and one inch. I think 3 to 4 inches may be a bit extreme, unless you have very short arms! If you go to somewhere like McGuirks they'll measure you up. Only takes 2 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

karlh wrote:
    Hi all,

myself and my brother are both 6 foot 4 and need to get new clubs. (both used to play before we were freaks but just getting back into it)

we'll need to get clubs with about 3 inches extra. anyone ever get extended ones before, any recommendations?

i've heard it affects club selection hugely for obvious reasons (+/- 2 clubs)

thanks,
    Karl
    3 inches is waaaaaaaay to much dude!
    I'm sure being tall makes it feel awkward but you really dont need clubs that are that much longer.
    Take a look here for how you should gauge what length to use
    Club Fitting
    Whats more important is the lie angle, a taller player will end up with only the toe of the club on the ground so make sure you test this before buying.
    You can get stickers that you stick onto the sole of the club and then make a few swings with a special plastic mat. The marks on the sticker will show you if you have the correct lie angle or not.
    Good luck.

Hey, Id take my mobile number off your post dude, too many whackos on here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

guys, i'm 6ft 4 and HAD 1 inch on my clubs but got standard ones again. The extra weight and loss of control is unbelievable.

Think about it - you hit a 9 iron more accurately than a 5 iron because it's such a shorter shaft as well as having more loft. The longer a club gets the harder it is to use and be accurate with. You'll hit longer clubs a mile but I'm willing to bet your scores will suffer!

I play off 4 and I worked in a store for a couple of years so I have a decent knowledge of this stuff. My advice is to get the least amount added on possible and go 2-4 degrees upright. I'd say- if you really feel like you're hunching get half an inch (big difference) and 2 deg upright lies.

mobile04 wrote:
    ive a putter with another inch on it here lads
    i was got in the uk cleeveland brand new 75 euro or a trade 4 a different putter .
    Hey, can you keep posts on topic, if you want to sell/exchange stuff stick it in the correct forum.
    Ta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement