Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in USA for week in Dec

Options
  • 11-11-2004 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I have a 3510i and i am going on holiday to New York for a week in December. I've been told that this phone won't work over there. For various reasons i'd like to be contactable over there - is there anywhere i can rent a phone for the week that'll work over there?

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DukeDredd wrote:
    I have a 3510i and i am going on holiday to New York for a week in December. I've been told that this phone won't work over there. For various reasons i'd like to be contactable over there - is there anywhere i can rent a phone for the week that'll work over there?

Duke
    I think you can get stuff like that at the US airport. Ask your travel agent to make sure, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

the_syco wrote:
    I think you can get stuff like that at the US airport. Ask your travel agent to make sure, tho.

You can do that, but to be honest it'll cost too much
    you're better off asking round your mates to see if anyone of them have a tri-band phone they want to loan you. Or try the For Sale MObile forum on boards and see if you can get one there. Or for 80euros, pop into extravsion and buy a nokia 3100, and get it unlocked (there's a thread about this) and there you go! *) should be cheaper than renting on of the backward fones they have in America

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Cool - thanks for the advice people!

Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You can get a pretty cheap phone, prepaid for very little with unlimited local calls... Some of the suppliers include verizon, at&t, sprint and t-mobile

just remember in the states you get charged to recieve a call as well as making them...

Another option would be to get a tri-band phone and pop your sim card into it that way you'll be contactable on your irish number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

My friend went to New York recently and was told beforehand by o2 thats he wouldnt be able to roam out there (he had a 6310i on pre-pay) but low and behold when he got out there his fone was working perfectly and we were bombarded by txt's from him :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

By the way, are you on pay as you go or contract? I think that only Meteor let PAYG roam in the US (subject to paying a '€60 deposit' up front)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cupthehand wrote:
    My friend went to New York recently and was told beforehand by o2 thats he wouldnt be able to roam out there (he had a 6310i on pre-pay) but low and behold when he got out there his fone was working perfectly and we were bombarded by txt's from him :cool:

6310i is tri-band so shouldnt have had any problems working! once your phone is Tri-Band will work....keep a look out on mobiles for sale forum and you will pick up a cheap tri-band phone.....something like 6100 or 6110 or 3200 are all tri-band and you should be able to pick up for under a 100....

I never buy a phone unless its tri-band! saves hastle in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Bogger77's suggestion was the best
    Xtravision have brand new Nokia 3100's for 89 euro with 80 euro credit!
    Phone costs ya 9 euro plus its triband and you can always sell it after

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i have a unlocked US t-mobile phone you can have. i think it's a 3390 or 3315,
    if your will to colect you can have it for €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Never used them but some info on hiring a cell phone.

CellHire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MonkeyMagician

f you can get your hands on a triband you can get a US prepay sim from these guys

www.fonepool.com

ther fro students but they will process an order form anyone

They do phones too but only deliver in the US

Advertisement