Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One version in Irish the other in English?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

magpie wrote:
    Bring back the old days when the President did what they are supposed to do, which is ensure no abuses of the Constitution. Not ponce around the world in Green tweed saving kittens from landmines and the like, a precedent that was set by good ole power-hungry Mrs Robinson who always had an eye to her next job.
    I read that as "bring back the days when the President did the minimum they are supposed to do..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

She's not very popular in Israel, mind you... http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-rubin052002.asp

You'll have to forgive my cynicism, but it appeared to me that Mary was using her tenure as President to line herself up for a plum UN job, rather than keeping her eye on her official duties. But hey, most people loved her which is why she got elected for a second term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

magpie wrote:
    She's not very popular in Israel, mind you... http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-rubin052002.asp

Thats the national review an absurdly right wing rag
    You'll have to forgive my cynicism, but it appeared to me that Mary was using her tenure as President to line herself up for a plum UN job, rather than keeping her eye on her official duties. But hey, most people loved her which is why she got elected for a second term.

Again this is based on what?

I have a friend who's worked for her in the UN and her opinion is based on working with our former president. My friend is of the opinion that Mary jumped ship when the state of the aids pandemic first surfaced and dire problem africa is facing, she knew she had to do something.

She didn't bother standing for a second term (and if she did we would have had the same situation that arose last month) turning down a plum job (which the presidency of ireland is) to do some good. So frankly stuff your cyncism.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

magpie wrote:
    it appeared to me that Mary was using her tenure as President to line herself up for a plum UN job, rather than keeping her eye on her official duties. But hey, most people loved her which is why she got elected for a second term.
    I'm confused. Which Mary was lining herself up for a UN job? The one that got one, or the one that got a second term?

Whichever you're talking about, you're implying that at least one of them neglected her duties as president. I've yet to see any facts to back this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Sorry, that was referring to Mary2 who seems to be following a similar path to Mary1. Apologies for the confusion.

All I'm saying is that the duties of the Irish President are, as far as I can gather.

Appointing members of the Government, judges and other officials

Summoning and dissolving the Dáil

Convening the Oireachtas

Representing the people

Signing Bills and referring Bills to the Supreme Court

Acting as Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces

All I'm saying is that Pre-Robinson (e.g. Hillary) the president kept a low profile and did not personally align himself (and by implication the Irish Nation) with any charitable causes.

Maybe it's a good thing that the two Marys have changed all that.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You said earlier: "...rather than keeping her eye on her official duties." Which duties do you feel she took her eye off? Are there unappointed judges hanging in limbo somewhere? Any bills sitting in her in-tray that we should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

magpie wrote:
    Maybe it's a good thing that the two Marys have changed all that.
    I think so. As head of state, but without official power, I think the President's primary concern should really be PR. To represent the Irish people abroad and at home. A head of state who actually has control, e.g. GWB, has a much more difficult position as they simultaneously have to be in control of the country and be the PR guy. It can present a conflict of interests in that he may enact something which is desirable at home, but bad overseas, and negatively damages PR. With a separate Taoiseach and President, effectively it can arranged so that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, or in other words, desseminate any blame.

Advertisement