Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u Discover a new Author ????

Options
  • 25-04-2001 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Well, I have a massive book collection at home of over 500 books, they are mainly Fantasy or Science fiction, but there are plenty of modern fiction and true life works among them.

My problem is this........ When I start to read a new Author, new for me that is, then I tend to go on a binge of buying and reading all the stuff by that author, and for a few weeks at least that’s all I read, but when I'm finished I find it very hard to choose a new Author to start reading and I tend to go back reading through my collection!!!

How do U pick a new Author to read? I’ve been rereading my books now for the last three months, with a short break for Iain M.Banks's new Sci-Fi novel, and I need to find somebody Interesting to start reading!!

Mainly into Science Fiction, Fantasy, Modern Fiction and True crime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I usually just browse the bookshop until I find something I like the sound of. Read Janny Wurts or J.V. Jones or L.E. Modesitt Jr. ??

A mere 500 books?? [Aussie Accent] You call that a collection? [/Aussie Accent]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

i usally check out the reviews on amazon etc to see what other people say.
    if your looking for a good fantasy read check out george rr martin ,like you ive tons of science fiction and fantasy books.his song of ice and fire series is amazing ,better than the likes of jordan ,J.V. Jones etc check out the amazon review here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006479898/o/qid=988194230/sr=8-1/202-3993787-4035866

his books are amazing,
    read them

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

I'm very choosy bout who I buy so it took me ages to get a collection where every Author is one I will read again and again wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Generally just by complete fluke ,or the reccomendation of friends.

yours , Brer

P.S Try "No Logo" by Naomi Klein , one of the best books Ive read in a LONG LONG time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Usually browsing the 2nd hand bookshops / bargin-bins to see if anything looks interesting. Also have picked up a few tips from this board, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Manach, speaking of getting tips, I have just begun a GK Chesterton novel! cool.gif

Advertisement