Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proxy Bypassing....Question.

Options
  • 11-11-2004 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey Everybody,
    I have already read here that by not connecting to the proxy server in IE it disable any protection schemes the server has. Does this mean that the my computer isnt connected to the server but directly to the bb line when using IE?
    Thanks,
    Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Hakko,

There are a number of ways a proxy server can be configured (caching, content scanning, etc). So it all depends on what you mean. If you are in a work place and they have installed a proxy server then it is most likely to log what you are looking at and possibly content scanning.

If you are at home and have a regular PC then you wouldn't need a proxy server setting. It used to be that ISPs allowed you to proxy off one of their systems for performance (think cache.iol.ie) but it's not necessary. In these cases it was simply for performance not security.

The best protection for yourself if at home is a upto date anti-virus scanner and the latest security patches for you OS.

JayoK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

dats grand thanks a mill..just one small question..
    I just got eircom bb at home and the speed is 100.0mbps i thaught it wass supposed to be better than ISDN which is 128.0mbps or am i all wrong?

Thanks,
    Hakko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Confusion of numbers there....

ISDN single channel - 64kbits/second
    ISDN using two channels - 128kb/s
    Eircom BB (Home Service) - 512kb/s down , 128kb/s up (I think)
    Ethernet speeds 10,000kbits/sec, 100,000kbits/sec or 1,000,000kbits/sec written as 10Mb, 100Mb , 1000Mb or 1Gb.

So you are connecting at 100Mb to your BB router (via ethernet), but you are probably connecting to eircom at 512/128k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks jayok..
    I see I was very confused alright...

Hakko

Advertisement