Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing a bid on a house.

Options
  • 11-11-2004 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Right, placed a bid on a house yesterday, it's been on the market for about three weeks and has had no offers. I got a call today and they said the vendor would take no less than €***,*** (dont want to specify). Anyway, I offered what they asked. A few hours later I get a call back saying someone who looked at the house a fortnight ago placed a bit €2,000 higher than mine. Now I dont know if A) it's coincidence that the other person called and made a bid today. B) The estate agent called everyone who has already looked at the house, told them I had made an offer, and asked if they wanted to make one themselves or C) They are making the increased offer up in the hopes I will increase my bid. The C option happened to me earlier this year and increased my offer numerous times up until I went €12,000 over my original offer. Has anyone any advice about this. Feels pretty crap seeing as they said I would probably have it with what I offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Option C happens all the time from what most of my friends tell me (got mine years ago before all this bull started) if it were me I would say X is my final offer, plenty more houses for sale out there. Another tactic is to say I have been offered another house for X so I will move on that instead, try and call their bluff but if they call yours.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

That's what I'm thinking of doing, I told her that I want to take another look at it tomorrow but I said I don't think I could justify going any higher considering the stamp duty I would have to pay and the cost of refurbishment. Someone else recommended I give them an offer and say it's only valid for 24 or 48 hours and after that I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

definitely line Nuttz said, dont seem to keen to estate agent, if it is genuinly 2K more than what you offered they will prob trry and pump that person for a few quid more so will come back to you anyway, but have found that if you play it cool with agent no matter how much you want the house it will work to your advantage.

Also like the idea of saying offer is valid fox x amount of time as another deal in the pipeline. Did smonething similar lasy year when getting the run-around on a house and it worked put well for me as now living in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Cheers for the reply guys. As it turns out the mystery bidder has retracted his bid so it came back to mine. All going well I should have the keys by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

FX Meister wrote:
    Cheers for the reply guys. As it turns out the mystery bidder has retracted his bid so it came back to mine. All going well I should have the keys by Christmas

just logged on and saw this, glad worked out well - good luck!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement