Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wheel of Time, a book too far?

Options
  • 23-04-2001 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or is Robert Jordan attempting to create a series that will refuse to fit all on one shelf??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<groan>
    and the last book wasnt too brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah totally, he really overdid it with the sub-plots. The 1st and 4th would be my favourites.

Still they do have amazing imagery, if only he could actually write women characters! If they thought like that in real life.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

My brother used to read them, but by the time he got to the sixth one, he realised (and i quote), "it's never going to f ucking end, im chucking this out the fu cking window". And he promptly did just that.

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

He should have stopped after one. (I am not a fan smile.gif )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Lord of Chaos (book 5) is by far the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lsat book was boring up til the last 40 pages. unfortunately, i stopped reading it for about a month with about 41 pages to go...
    but those last 40 pages made it ohh so worth while. so many of those annoying little who-is-who mind games are resolved.
    i like the story and i like the books. writer is a bit of a meandering old fart, but a good story teller and i still love the series, even after what, about 7 years of reading them. but GOD_DAM_IT_MAN, hurry the fup up!

Hopefully the rumour about the series being limited (limited???) to ten novels is true.

Cheers for the link Cloud.

Fave charcters anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I hope he wraps up the last battle story in the next book, but then i want him to start doing 2/3 series books on AOL and other historcial events in WOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It'll be like the Shannara series - the author (Brooks) vowed never to complete it as he made too much money off each book! smile.gif

Fools, the lot o' ya!

Al.

• Advertisement

Never really liked the Shannara Series.

Terry Goodkind anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Aww man that wheel of time series is one of the worst set of books I’ve ever read!!

I gave up after the fourth book and I still have another two at home that I bought just in case it was good that I will never read!!

In my opinion writing a series of 10 or 12 or some stupid number of books like that does not make it a Brilliant piece of work!! He could have condensed his Luke warm epic into three decent seized books, maybe four, and then at least it would not have felt like such a waste of my time!!!!

wink.gif

I don't think he could have captured the people and the world as clearly in a 3-book epic. Remember the first book was just the tip of the ice berg of detail.

But you have to respect his methods, oppossed to those of JRR Tolkein, his obsession with lineage and other frivial details in the midst of a swirling fantasy could be very annoying at times. And the anti-climax at the end!!

I hope the Wheel of Time ends in a more suprising and original way. Maybe Rand should lose?? That could be quite interesting biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

i hate this argument.when he does finaly finish ill be p1ssed off couse its ended.its a good series, a very good series but not the best.in my veiw that goes to george rr martin for his 'song of ice and fire' series and the fourth and last book is out next year(christ another year).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Read a george rr martin story in Legends (collection of fantasy/SF)and been meaning to read The song of ice and fire series ever since but things like re-reading 8 WOT books so I can remember what happens before starting into the 9th stopped me for a while

But might give it a go now,

Thought Winter's Heart was quite good, better than the last one anyway

Legends is quite good, a nice selection you know something for everyone. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I like the Terry Pratchet story in it biggrin.gif

Advertisement