Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some new music I bought

Options
  • 11-11-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Some recent purchases:

Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues

Was never really into Mr Cool - always thought his stuff was a beatnik musical **** poetry fest - but after a recent showing on the Jools Holland show, I was mightily impressed and decided to buy this new double CD. Every number on the Abbatoir Blues CD, apart from the last track, is absolutely amazing and the production and arrangements are superb - I've haven't heard such brilliant piano work or inventive wah-wah use in ages. This will definitely be one of my all time favourite albums.

Marilyn Manson - Lest we Forget

Edgy, high-energy, cock rock. I prefer the older Reznor produced stuff for its minimalism but there's a great selection of tracks on this greatest hits collection. All the covers are there as well as all the stand-out numbers of the last few years. Best played at the '11' volume setting.

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak

Didn't really get into the first album. Thought it was just a collective who got hold of some old Rickenbackers and decided to do 70s trailer park twang rock. I preferred ther real trailer park sound and carried on listening to Tom Petty, Free, ZZ Top and the Allman Bros instead.

Then this came out and all the muso reviewers were saying the Kings had progressed from their meat and potatoes 3 verse/3 chorus rock songs into some more diverse songwriting styles. There are now hints of Led Zep's 'Dyer Maker', tidbits of the Police ska sound and even one track that could be latter day RHCP. Interesting album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Nick Cave is great. Murder Ballads being up there with one of my favourite albums that he has made. So many great songs on it like "O'Malleys Bar" and "Stagger Lee" I havent listened to the new release. Must add it to my wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

you beat me to it with O'Malley's Bar - that is a mental song. I'm delighted to see Cave move a bit back from his recent sentimental style back into the madness! His lyrics are class - stuff like The Carny and The Mercy Seat (I prefer the Johnny Cash version) are top notch

Advertisement