Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I connect my Wireless Router????

• 11-11-2004 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm fairly desperate. Just wondering how on earth to connect my IOL ZyXel DSL modem to my Linksys wireless router. If someone could run me through it step by step. Until now I've only had the modem connected through the USB port which is basically dummy stuff? I can't even connect my to my computer using an ethernet cable!!! Arggggggghhhh

If somebody could please please help!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Hey there,

I'm fairly desperate. Just wondering how on earth to connect my IOL ZyXel DSL modem to my Linksys wireless router. If someone could run me through it step by step. Until now I've only had the modem connected through the USB port which is basically dummy stuff? I can't even connect my to my computer using an ethernet cable!!! Arggggggghhhh

Cheers

Does the modem have an ethernet port on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Yes it does but I haven't used it to set up an internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey there,

Cheers
    get ethernet cable and connect modem to the WAN port on your router.
    (Your router may have more than one ethernet connection, just pick the one the is distinct from the others, it will probably say WAN and the others will be numbered 1, 2, 3)
    now either
    1)
    connect your computer to the router with another ethernet cable (this time use one of those other numbered ports)
    or if you want to connect wirelessly
    2)
    a) once everything is on your wireless card (in your pc) should detect that it can see your router/lan.
    look at the documentation for your router, it should tell you its ip address, go there and login (probably admin username and blank password)
    If you get this far you are hooked up!

I'd advise getting it working via ethernet before you look at the wireless options as you may need to config it via your browser.

Good luck and come back if you get stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Right, I think the problem has to do with conflicting IP addresses. Both the Zyxel modem and Linksys Router have IP 192.168.1.1 Any sugestions as to what to do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Right, I think the problem has to do with conflicting IP addresses. Both the Zyxel modem and Linksys Router have IP 192.168.1.1 Any sugestions as to what to do???
    what do you get when you do an
    c:\ipconfig /all
    can you get to the web admin page of your router?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

assign the router a different ip address - and maybe also clone the mac address of your pc. I'll pm you the settings on my linksys

Advertisement