Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Lance, the saga(s) continue

Options
  • 11-05-2001 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

I've just visited dragonlance.com, due to another thread.

Turns out there's a fourth book in the Dragon Lance chronicles: Dragons of Summer Flame. Has anybody read this, it sounds good.

Or has anybody read the War of Souls series? That looks good too. Maybe it's time I reacquainted m'self with the Dragons of Krynn.

[edited to include dragon lance shock]

This, apparently, is Tracy Hickman!

TracyHickman.jpg

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 11-05-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You risk the mockery of Damo by reading nerdy fantasy novels sir!!!!!11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Destroy and burn those books! Even as a realm setting for AD&D it was aweful. I read the first one when it first came out (hippy chick on the cover caught my youthful eye...drool) but after that I gave up, though I may have read the forst three.

But they went on and on eventually degenerating in to a soap complete with Lurve triangles, torn loyalties criss crossing and endless twists that were really not envisigned in previous books. i.e. thwy made it up as they went along. YUK!

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Preludes were bloody excellent books as I recall.

Remember the one where Tas & Raistlin (I think) went to Lunitari with the gnomes?

Haven't read that in years, but was pure class. Perhaps they've sunk lately but most of the stuff I read before 95 was pretty good.

Al.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Read a few books of this series a while back. It still surprises me how well the Authors created Strum as the one excellent character above all the other 2-D cast.
    Perhaps it was the mix of humility and strength but it genuinely sad at his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, they sunk kind of low but apparently they're back on form (even if Tracy Hickman is a guy). The gnomes must have been my favourite. I pretty much gave up on Dragon Lance after a really depressing story about Caramon as an alcoholic.

I think I'll have to invest some time and maybe put a review up here. As for AD & D, I've never played it but I'll take you word with regards to a setting for a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil Phil:
    I pretty much gave up on Dragon Lance after a really depressing story about Caramon as an alcoholic.
    </font>

That's part of the twins trilogy, I thought it was quite good, although very dark.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

War of the Twins? I'm getting my memories crossed, I thought Caramon drinking was a short story. War of the Twins was top class. Must have been something else that made me give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i read a few of these books about 4 years ago. they're very basic fantasy - the same stuff you're seen 100 times b4, the same characters, like half-elven tanis searching for his identity whos in about 40 other books, but they were actually fairly enjoyable. The kenders and the gnomes were good.

i remember reading a big book with a load of Dragonlance short stories written by different authors - unrelated to the books that came before, just set in the same world. that was something different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

anyone read the cloakmaster cycle?

i need the last book.

ill give u money!

Advertisement