Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Express and graphics cards

Options
  • 12-11-2004 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looknig into buying a new gaming rig (nope Mr. Admin Sir, I don't think it's the wrong thread as it a gaming related hardware question).

Does anyone know how PIC Express is going to change our lives - I am hearing a bunch of conflicting message - some say its the dogs... eh... ears, however many more say there's little performance difference between AGP x8 PCI Express.

So why do DELL offer their PCI Express gaming rig - could it be marketing perhaps... never !?!?!?!? ;)

Tnx,

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

This gives a good summary on the situation:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/index.html

If you are building from scratch/buying new, PCI-express is the way to go. Sure at the moment no GFX card can use the 16x bandwidth, but future upgrades might. Besides eventually AGP cards will become a rarer breed. However if you have a decent AGP card already, there is little sense jumping on the PCI-Express band wagon just yet.

ATB,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I would hold off untill early next year and the new SLI motherboards are out as you then have the option to use 2 pci-e cards :) Buying now is spending money on outdated tech and will not give you good bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

tnx for the info - I have a good AGP card (Gainward 5600 GeForce 256MB 333ns) but my system arround it is very dated so it only runs at AGP x4 (and not x8).

I won't be buying till the new year
    Buying now is spending money on outdated tech and will not give you good bang for your buck.

that is exactly what I am worried about - I want my new rig to be upgradable so I run 3-4 years with it... with some interim upgrades of course.

Advertisement