Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network addresses

• 12-11-2004 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

have two computers hooked to each other on a crossover cable and want to know what the network addresses should be?
    one is going to be a server and the other one a client, I dunno how i set it up the last time but since I've installed sp2 it says that it needs to get a network number and it's buggin the hell outta me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have a look at this article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The usual ones should be fine if you're assigning them manually.
    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 or 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 for example.
    (Subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

Although if you're using XP's networking wizzard, it's probably using DHCP in which case they'll change from time to time.
    If you want to find out what each pc is using once the network is up and running, try Start>>Run>> cmd >> ipconfig
    at which point it'll list the ip's in use by each network device.

I'm not sure what "network number" you're talking about though... haven't taken the plunge into SP2 territory myself.

Advertisement