Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Startup Question

Options
  • 12-11-2004 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I hope someone can help me here.
    I'm planning to open a shop selling Video Games.
    Can anyone tell me what the deal is getting games from wholesalers, who the wholesalers are, what they offer in regard to returns, is it possible to worek directly with manufactursers/publishers?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated (and will probably lead to more questions!)

Thank you,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know much about it, but I'd say the margins will be pretty tight on new games. It's a business that's fairly tied up by the big retailers, I would imagine.

It isn't just a matter of getting stock on favorable terms, you also have to be sure you can get the most up-to-date stock.

Have you looked in the golden pages for wholesalers? Or contacted the manfacturers' offices in Ireland or the UK?

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 behanj

Yeah, it seems to be fairly closed shop but I reckon there's a market there it's just exploiting it in the right way.
    Thanks for the tip on the Golden Pages, I found a few and I'll call them on Monday. I'm having trouble finding wholesalers in the UK though, also looking at the rest of the EU, might be cheaper still.
    Can anyone tell me where I could find figures pertaining to the Games Industry? For instance a figure being beaten around now is $30bn annual revenue, but I can't find the source for this, also I'd like to be able to compare this figure to a similar figure for the Movie Industry.
    Another question on a slightly different topic, I have an idea that I think is fairly unique in Ireland, when I'm pitching my business to Banks, etc... how can I be guaranteed my idea is protected and won't be snatched up and used by someone the Bank would consider a better investment? Or is that just paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if you ring the head offices in the UK you should find them. Also try the UK yellow pages. It's on-line somewhere obvious, I think. I'm sure there are also trade directories.

The source for these numbers is often specialized industry reports, or else research that games companies have done. If you read the filings of publicly traded games companies and games distributors, and make some inferences you should be able to figure out the market size to some degree. Also, see if you can find analysts' research on these companies.

I don't really know what good it will do you to know how big the global market is though, all you're really interested in is the Irish market sizing. I don't know where you would find that out. Possibly by checking the accounts of the Irish distributor, or the console manufacturers may release statistics.

The rest of the EU may not work so well as a source for games, because the games are localized for particular markets. The manufacturers try to keep a rein on things.

Yes, you are being paranoid. No, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. If you don't have the cash or the connections to get your plan to work, you're in a weak position, there's no two ways about it. Try to find a partner who could get you the goods at a decent price, extend you a bit of credit and give you a bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

There was another thread I read here but I can't find it that gave a link to a site for a company that provides screenshots and artwork to games amongst other things websites to use in their reviews.

I know it's not the same thing but there could be a more complete list of resources or contact details that might help you there.

Sorry can't remember that link at all though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 behanj

Thanks again,

I've loads there to keep me busy for the next few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement