Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any budding authors among us?

Options
  • 25-04-2001 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Is a message truly required here? biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Me, I suppose... I have some stuff at http://www.incursion.net/ if you want to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

eh...me too, but I only have old stuff on my site and it hasn't been updated in ages :P

click down there.

I Live (in a dream world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I wrote a novel once.
    It was crap.
    However I'm happy with the acceivement of writing 72,000 words of the same story, even if it wasn't any good. I had fun doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I want to write a novel, but I have alot of trouble getting beyond the lenght of a short story.

I also suffer from a completely unrelated concentration and drinking problem, i.e. I'm easily distracted by drink.

Got some poetry written though, and believe me a bad novel is nothing like the horro of a bad poem, written by a drunken poet biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

yeah, it can be quite difficult to get past (for me) the 2000-4000 word mark. i'd love to be able to write at novel length. :P

could always just do a book of short stories thou, prob. wouldn't get published but that's not why i do it smile.gif

I Live (in a dream world)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I have a 26,000 introductory story to a comedic series I intended on writing. Unfortunately I havent had much time, so Ive never finished it, and more importantly, Ive never RE-written what I wrote to get the quality up to scratch.

Ive a few short stories/crap essays though.
    Once again, never had enuff time to put into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've tried a number of times but never seem to have the concentration to get past the first few chapters frown.gif

I'm half-thinking of trying to write a screen-play. They're nice and short, right smile.gif

I'm tring to write a novel, but it's hard to be original in fantasy fiction nowadays.

Any ideas for plot, themes, world, nations etc??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:
    I'm tring to write a novel, but it's hard to be original in fantasy fiction nowadays.

Any ideas for plot, themes, world, nations etc??
    </font>
    Well, you could have this guy, right, who unwittingly becomes a hero. Never been done before EVER.

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

OMG why didn't I think of that??

I was going to have a small group of young inexperienced heros facing impossible odds, but finally after much suspence triumphing against a very large number of vastly superior foes.

I was going to throw in a magic sword, a dragon, and someone trying to take over the world.

but I wouldn't want to be too original now would I?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:
    I was going to throw in a magic sword, a dragon, and someone trying to take over the world.

but I wouldn't want to be too original now would I?? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
    </font>
    Dear god, why would you want to be? It's too much effort.

Write it about people dealing and coming to terms with stuff. Like sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i'd love to write something, and I'm sure i will eventually, but in the past year, Quake has ruined my concentration.. i can't read much, can't play chess, can't even watch TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I've tried a number of times but never seem to have the concentration to get past the first few chapters frown.gif

I'm half-thinking of trying to write a screen-play. They're nice and short, right smile.gif
    </font>

Books are murder to write. Screenplays are great fun to write, but i always take ages to do it...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

CS Clan VAR was based on a novel I've been planning since 1996.

I've got so many old notes it's not funny, and I've only barly done anything up to date... I can throw ye a chapter or two if you like, even though it's some old stuff...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RopeDrink:
    I've got so many old notes it's not funny, and I've only barly done anything up to date... I can throw ye a chapter or two if you like, even though it's some old stuff...</font>
    I know how you feel... I've gotten maybe 20k words written and it's only a fifth finished... but if asked I could tell you pretty much anything about any part of the world.

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I suppose I'm a budding author. When I was a young fella (about 11 or 12 I suppose) I wrote what I thought was a 'novel' which was a crappy fantasy story in reality. It was probably not more than 4,000 words.

Then when I was 14 I wrote a 35,000 novel which I received interest in from publishers in London and Dublin. Nothing came of it though - but they did send me some free books!

When I was in Leaving Cert I wrote a one-act play which won an award at the Cork Arts Festival.

Since then I've written several things but they normally end up being rewritten and rewritten over and over so nothing finished has come to light. Plus I run my own business now so I have no time to write anything substantial.

I'm the Dude

Well your play was recognised, take pride in that at least, it is a big achievement considering how hard that can be these days!

I'm collecting notes for a fantasy novel smile.gif B ut being in college you know it can be so demanding wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Schwarzfahren

nesf: never knew that you were a prospective author. Please tell me they are going to be no dragons and wizrds in this book of yours. How about a more mainstream genre though?

"Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est"
    -Francis Bacon
    Schwarzfahren.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

I am finsihed something at the moment which should get published (non-fiction). Aside from that I worte sci-fi (definite fiction) but have yet to really get the finger out on that.

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Though I might point out that my spelling is not as bad as that last post I put up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Thats OK, were none of us perfect...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm writing some stuff at the moment.

Well about 40 different books! biggrin.gif

Maybe about 2 or 3 might be good enough to finish...
    I told Bob The Unlucky Octopus about one of them.
    But Occy, don't spill the beans on my story.

Personally, I'm indulging in a bit of Sci-Fi before I write something more mainstream. I would say I hope it to be the LOTR of the genre, but even before I get beaten up I'd have to admit I was getting *way* ahead of myself smile.gif

Advertisement