Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sika wood floor adhesive

Options
  • 12-11-2004 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I will be putting down some solid birch floor in a couple of weeks time. Originally, I was going to nail it (on ply). However, I just came across this Sika wood floor adhesive (T55 and Acoubond - sound insulation). After some research, I am tempted use this. It suppose to be better than hidden nailing - some company has used it in Brown Thomas recently.

The Acoubond with its sound insulation property sounds (no pun) good but its more expensive and I am not sure it's really needed in a house.

Anyone has any experience with these (from a DIY perspective)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I've recently got oak flooring that was glued down using that Sika stuff. Didn't use the sound insulation stuff - not sure why you would need it as wood flooring is gonna be noist anyway.

The glued down wooden flooring is good. Laid very much like laying tiles, and it looked easy when the lads were going it.
    It also allows to expansion as the glue enable the boards to move slightly.
    And if underfloor heating, it is preferable to use this glue-down method

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PH01 wrote:
    I've recently got oak flooring that was glued down using that Sika stuff.
    So how did it turn out in the end?
    You happy with the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

I've recently got oak flooring that was glued down using that Sika stuff

... and do you know where to get it and how much it costs roughly ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Lex Luthor wrote:
    So how did it turn out in the end?
    You happy with the results?
    Well I never had a wooden floor before so I've nothing to compare it against, but I will say that I'm very happy with it. It looks great, feels great and I couldn't imagine having anything else.
    We've got underfloor heating as well and when that baby's on there's nothing nicer that the feel of warm wood under your feet. :)
    bobmurphy wrote:
    and do you know where to get it and how much it costs roughly
    I imagine you get the stuff from any crowd that does timber flloring. I got mine through VFM in Castlebar.
    The glue costs about €17 per meter (can't remember the exact amount) and they only come in 10 litre drums, so you'll either have too much or too little.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a good chat with someone at Chadwick (they stock the stuff). He was very helpful and I am going to give it a go.

I was quoted €140 for a drum of T54 adhesive - will probably get a few quid off. He also suggested using a special trowel (€12) to minimise wastage. Surprisely, the Sika info I got doesn't mention that. Anyway it's only €12 and fits nicely in the drum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

One last thing. They also come in small sausages - if you just need a small amount to finish off a job.

Advertisement