Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Author ?

Options
  • 11-04-2001 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Well I have to Admit that I have a couple of favourites, the first being the most famous Fantasy Author of modern history, JRR.Tolkien, and the other being, imho, the best Science-Fiction writer of our time, Ian.M.Banks.

smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

Its a tie between George R.R Martin who wrote the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series and other sci-fi books and Robin Hobb whos six books in the 'Farseer' and 'Liveship' trilogy's are just rockin.

[This message has been edited by Frodo@work (edited 11-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

In no particular order, Asimov (aka God), Banks, Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Bear, Clarke, Vernes (yeah, Jules), the granddaddy of them all, H.G. Wells, etc. etc. And that's just sf.

How can you possibly pick one? Gotta be more specific regards genre...

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Asimov,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

James Ellroy, Iain Banks. Genius...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Paul Auster.

New York Trilogy
    Moon Palace
    Music of Chance
    Timbuktu
    Etc

He rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

pTerry smile.gif

Favourite book: Good Omens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Raymund E Feist is my favorite at the moment. He's a genius at telling an epic story from a human perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

In no particular order:
    Terry P, William Goldman, Bernard Cornwell, Louis De Bernieres, Helen Fielding, Jung Chang, John Wyndham, Tolkein, and about a billion others.

It's too hard to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If I was trapped on a desert island and could only have the books of one person, it would be CS Lewis, although a few others would run up close.

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Terry P - King atm out of the 8 dw books I've read I'm at a loss to pick a favourite

[This message has been edited by GREENHELL (edited 12-04-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Robert Jordan/Robin Hobb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Heh, GH, of the 25 or so that I've read I'm at a loss to pick a favourite wink.gif

It would probably be between Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Interesting Times and Mort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Fredrick Forsyth, Jeffery Archer, Craig Thomas, Tom Clancy.

Redesigned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In Random Order:
    David Gemmell
    Patrick O'Brian
    Lois Bujold
    Peter Hamilton
    John Keegan
    GK Chesterton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Jean-Paul Sartre, Jame Ellroy, Paul Austre, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Tolkien, Iain Banks to name few

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

I'd have to go with these two, simply because of one of the books each has written, both of which have changed my outlook on fiction in general:

Jeff Noon (for Pixel Juice)
    and
    Mark Z. Danielewski (for House of Leaves)

...and I suppose Heller aswell for Catch-22, I didn't think comedy could be done properly in a novel format until I read that book (On a 13 hour bus journey through North Africa of all places. Christ.)

:P

I Live (in a dream world)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

I'd have to go with these two, simply because of one of the books each has written, both of which have changed my outlook on fiction in general:

Jeff Noon (for Pixel Juice)
    and
    Mark Z. Danielewski (for House of Leaves)

...and I suppose Heller aswell for Catch-22, I didn't think comedy could be done properly in a novel format until I read that book (On a 13 hour bus journey through North Africa of all places. Christ.)

:P

I Live (in a dream world)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    Raymund E Feist is my favorite at the moment. He's a genius at telling an epic story from a human perspective.</font>

I'm a Feist nut myself but I don't think he pioneered the Human Perspective. How many writers write form a Tree's perspective. Oh yeah and I have to fo with Isaac Asimov, the MAN on this little vote. Banks is cool but I'll hail him as a great writer when he has more Sci-Fi written.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Non-fiction: Andrea Dworkin
    Fiction: Martin Amos

May seem strange to have a Feminist and a writer who's been accused of misogyny together like that, but they're both bloody good writers. (And Dworkin's fiction and Amos' non-fiction are also very good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Oh crap0rs i forgot Peter F Hamilton !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Fantasy and sci-fi: CS Lewis.
    Otherwise, Doulas Coupland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

William Gibson. Yeah yeah he invented the term cyberspace, but the mix of urban decay with advanced technology and his unique perspective on the human condition is simply superlative.

My favourite book of his jointly written by Bruce Sterling is actually set in an alternative past were the finished Babbage machine changes the world. Excellent.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Hunter S thompson comes to mind , odd he hasnt been listed yet. :/

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Orwell, Pratchett, Adams. Tolkien is great too. My dad got the Hobbit recently on cassette, and even though it's a "kids book", hearing those words again rekindled a sense of awe.

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Iain Banks (with and without the 'M'), Gore Vidal, Terry Prachett.

When I was a kid:
    Alfred Hitch**** ~ The Three Detectives series
    Enid Blighton ~ Famous Five, Hurraw for ginger ale!
    Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman ~ The Drangonlance chronicles/tales/etc. actually they're still pretty good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

T'would ave to be David Gemmell for meself. I believe he has a book out at the moment- Raven(something-or-other).

Haven't had much time to read that many books lately, what with college an all.

But I think I may try some Sherlock Holmes stuff, when I get the chance?

dyin ain't much of a livin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Orson Scott Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Corinthian

Kurt Vonnegut
    Neil Gaiman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

In no particular order...
    Tolkien, Kafka, Asimov, George Orwell, Albert Camus, JP Sartres, Frederick Nietzsche, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Jules Verne, Fyodr Doestoyevsky, Robert Jordan and Frank Herbert.

Let's not forget Douglas Adams- perhaps one of the best comedy writers the world has ever known- at least until that world becomes obliterated to make way for a hyperspace bypass biggrin.gif

Feist is a competent rather than an amazing writer. He tells good stories, but the mythos is basic, the characters shallow and single-minded, and the plot-lines simple/predictable in truth. Most of the backstory behind Kelewan for instance, has been lifted directly from pre-Meiji Japan. The entire plot-line of Silverthorn was a parodical re-hash of Sleeping Beauty. The stories he tells are good ones because they aren't original in the least- they are derivations of already-popular and successful fiction.

The worlds of Tolkien, Jordan, Frank Herbert and RA Salvatore are a good deal more original and better-explored than that of Feist. Fritz Leiber too, is an amazing writer- described as the best fantasy author of our time.

I'm sure there are loads of authors I've left out- but those are all I could think of for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jay McInerney, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Salinger - and there's a guy I used to be in school with who can write brilliantly - I've loved everything I've ever read by him. When he makes it big I'll be able to name drop him all over the place and recount our drinking exploits.

I'm the Dude

Advertisement