Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richie Partridge - Is it time?

• 12-11-2004 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Rafael Benitez said he was impressed with the performance of Richie Partridge when he appeared as a substitute against Middlesbrough and said he is a player that could come into his thoughts this season.
    Benitez felt Partridge made a very posititive impact on the match and he set up the first goal for Neil Mellor.

Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We were not playing so well in the second half and with Partridge we have another possibility to play wide, and he played well.

"He has been a long time without playing with his injury and for him it was important to play. He gives us more possibilities and he got into the box and was always a danger.

"It is important to see the players of your town in the case of the Academy players playing in the first team. I think if it's possible and if they have enough level for us then I think we can use the players more. It depends on the players."

From liverpoolfc.tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's probably his last big chance at Liverpool and he looks like he's ready to take it. I haven't been impressed with him in the past and thought that he only get's the attention that he does here because he's Irish, but by all accounts he was the key in unlocking Middlesbrough's defence on Wednesday and if he can keep it up, well who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

"He could come into his thoughts"
    Not exactly encouraging tbh, I feel richie has wasted his career by sticking with the pool, if he had of moved to coventry when he was on loan he would have been snapped up by a premiership team already this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Nuttzz wrote:
    "He could come into his thoughts"
    Not exactly encouraging tbh
    I disagree, I think it's about as encouraging as it's going to get for the moment. He wasn't in his thoughts before and now he's been spotted and may be considered for a chance.

He's not saying he is now going to be a regular starter, that wouldn't be true no matter how much we would like it to be. For a player who's been injured loads and ignored by several previous managers at the club he loves, it's a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Considering Harry Kewell's poor form and Liverpool's lack of options on the wings, it could well be his best opportunity. Time will tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I haven't been impressed with him in the past...
    He is always getting MOM awards for the reserves and was probably the best player in Division 1 when he played there. I know, its not the premiership but I don't see how you couldn't be impressed by him.
    thought that he only get's the attention that he does here because he's Irish
    I don't see what you mean there. There is loads of Irish playing reserve football in the premiership. If you mean he gets a load of attention by Irish-Liverpool fans, its basically because a lot of us like to keep check on how the Ireland underage teams are doing and he impressed. Even Don Givens called him up to the full Ireland squad for the match against Greece because he knows how good he is.

IMO he would have started the last Carling Cup game if he hasn't twisted his knee at the start of last month.

He signing a 12 month contract this summer so can talk to other teams after Christmas. There has been interest from a few Championship teams and Benitez doesn't seem the type of manager that will let talent go to waste. I'm sure he'll get his chance soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'll echo what eirebhoy said and repeat that that there was one season when Partridge was getting MotM in every reserve game, but still Houllier wouldnt pick him, and he did very well when at Coventry. Plus he's missed the best part of 2 seasons through injury.

It was very unfortunate that he picked up a knock when he did this year, therefore he's only played 20 minutes of first team football, when it would have been 180. If he had played the first league cup game chances are he would have seen bits of action in the league too. But now maybe its too late, Potter has passed him out - though its clear Potter is a different player, neat and tidy on the wing but far more effective as a central midfielder, whereas Partridge is a true pacey, exciting winger - and more importantly Nunez is only a couple of weeks away from fitness. If Partridge hasnt gotten more first team action by the time Nunez is fit, then I cant see him getting any (not because Nunez might be better than him, but because Nunez is a Benitez signing and therefore (this season anyway) is bound to be treated favourably - like Garcia).

But now maybe its too late, Potter has passed him out - though its clear Potter is a different player, neat and tidy on the wing but far more effective as a central midfielder, whereas Partridge is a true pacey, exciting winger
    There was only one change on Wednesday to the team that beat Millwall and that was Finnan in for Josemi so it looks like Benitez doesn't really want to change the team too much. Apparantly Diao didn't play great on Wednesday and Benitez has moved Potter into the middle for the last half hour in the two Carling cup games were he has impressed and set up 2 goals. Maybe Benitez will play Richie on the right and move Potter to his best position in the middle in place of Diao. There is no doubting that Partridge is better on the right than Potter and Potter has the potential to be class in the centre of midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Nuttzz wrote:
    I feel richie has wasted his career by sticking with the pool, if he had of moved to coventry when he was on loan he would have been snapped up by a premiership team already this season

this wasnt richies choice not ot move to coventry, after the year loan spell gary mac discussed taking him on a permanent basis but as most people know coventry were in financial crisis at the time. anyone who knows football will know that doing both of your cruciate ligaments by the time your twenty three is as trauatic as it gets for a footballer and for richie to be back after that knocking on the first team door is commendable. so many people who do cruciates never come back the same player.
    Hopefully now he will get what he deserves and a run in the liverpool forst team. Only carragher is a longer serving player at anfield than richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

eirebhoy wrote:
    Maybe Benitez will play Richie on the right and move Potter to his best position in the middle in place of Diao. There is no doubting that Partridge is better on the right than Potter and Potter has the potential to be class in the centre of midfield.

I hope you're right, but I have a feeling Benitez will be less experimental now that a trophy is in sight. In any event if Nunez is fit, I'd expect the Spurs game to be his first start. SG may also need the game.

Unless Partridge really was very good on Wed and has forced himself onto the bench for this weekend, then I think its going to be near impossible for him to force himself into the team this season, because I dont think he'll get any more chances (on my knees praying I'm wrong!)

"I knew I was going to be in the squad earlier in the week when I was included in the set-piece work and it was great just to be on the bench.

"I was warming up with John Riise when I was called down and told I was going on. It was great to get on, although it was hard to find my feet because the pace of the game was so fast.

"But it was nice to make a contribution and supply the cross that Neil Mellor got our first goal from. That was very satisfying.

"He [the famous American knee surgeon Richard Steadman] was unbelievable. Once I spoke to him I realised that I was in good hands and any worries I had disappeared.

"There are hundreds of jerseys and pictures from most of the world's top stars and I've a shirt ready to go over.

"He [Benitez] has now seen me play for the first team and I know I need first team football. I had a great spell at Coventry two years ago and that helped get me a new contract at Liverpool so I know it will only do me good," said Partridge, whose current deal expires at the end of the season.
    Full Article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

While he may not get into the first team straight away I'd hope to see him on the bench for the Crystal Palace match tomorrow instead of Diao. Chances are that Benitez will pick Diao though I can't understand why as every game he's played in he's had a howler of a match.

Would like to see more of the younger lads getting a game if only in the home cup competitions. Would allow Benitez to run the rule over them for longer. He has hinted though that he may have to bring in some of the senior players for the Spurs Carling Cup clash but I would hope that he would leave them on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

If he cant make the bench against palace then I wouldnt hold out much hope for this season, I dearly hope I am proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

At least Diao didn't make the bench. I'd love to see Garcia or Kewell dropped and Richie given his chance but it'll never happen. Still if he gets into the Carling Cup suqad he make get another chance to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

richie wasnt in the squad for yesterdays game, there was more chance of being in the squad with houlliers structure because he named two extra players in the squad for away games and one extra for home to cover sickness, last minute injury etc.
    Benitez is only picking the bare amout of first eleven and subs

Advertisement