Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use of headlights in the day.

Options
  • 12-11-2004 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I am hearing ads on the radio telling you to use your headlights 24/7 even during the daytime. If this is such a good idea why is it not required by law?

Any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Because the law is an ass.

They should also make it illegal to have foglights on unless it's FOGGY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I use them all the time it is a matter of habit and a good one as it gives other drivers better visablitiy.

Volvos and Saabs have the car set to switch them on at igniton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

woody wrote:
    I use them all the time it is a matter of habit and a good one as it gives other drivers better visablitiy.

Volvos and Saabs have the car set to switch them on at igniton

The same, it also saves on those stupid incidences that I've seen countless times where the driver fills up at the garage at night and forgets to turn lights back on afterwards.

The Saab, has a dash mounted switch for off, parking lights, and heads on while engine running, or at least mine does :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

I have the 'sidelights' on during the day. As said above, it improves visibility for pedestrians/cyclists/other drivers. Headlights can be very annoying during the day tho, if someone is behind you you have to flick the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

It's pretty dark out all the time, so makes sense. I know any time i've rented a car in America the lights are automatically on all the time at some level or another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I use side lights always during daytime - I find that sometimes headlights can dazzle during daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

would it not be a good idea to make it compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I think they are advising that you have your dipped beams on during the day, not full headlights as they certainly do dazzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Dipped headlights are an aid to visibility during the day and will not cause any dazzle unless they're really badly aimed.

As for sidelights, they are too dim/small to be of much use while driving. There's little point putting on your sidelights in any conditions. If visibility is poor enough to warrant lights, then it's dipped headlights that should be used. OTOH if visibility is good (eg a bright sunny day) then sidelights are practically invisible due to being drowned out by natural light.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i'm sorry, i really dont get this.. lights on? during the day? more visiabilty? buts its DAYLIGHT!! how? why? it doesn't improve anythin except the speed at which your battery runs dry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    Dipped headlights are an aid to visibility during the day and will not cause any dazzle unless they're really badly aimed.

As for sidelights, they are too dim/small to be of much use while driving. There's little point putting on your sidelights in any conditions.

Agree

That using dipped headlights 24/7 improves safety is controversial. Tests in Sweden have clearly shown is does. It is compulsory there now (not sure might be in other Scandinavian countries now as well)

Obviously the climate there has something to do with it. Extensive tests in the Netherlands showed no increase in safety. Plans to make it compulsory were then abandoned

Using dipped headlights 24/7 adds about 3% to total fuel consumption of a car compared to only using them when they are typically used

I have the 'sidelights' on during the day

Those are parking lights. Turn on your dipped headlights.

Simple rules people:

1) Always have your dipped headlights on. This avoids those, "is it dark enough to need headlights" moments that result in idiots in silver cars driving around invisible in heavy rain etc. I'm sure this doesn't apply to any of you, but it takes away the burden of responsibility from those incapable of exercising it properly.
    2) Sidelights are for parking only.
    3) Don't turn on your foglights unless it is foggy. Turn them off again as soon as visibility improves.

The reason why Saabs and Volvos have them on permanently is because that is the law in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

impr0v wrote:
    I think they are advising that you have your dipped beams on during the day, not full headlights as they certainly do dazzle.

Yeah i agree, nothin worse than someone coming up behind ya with full headlights on at any time.... Did yis know that apparently it's against the law to have spotlights hooked up to ur dips, or so i was told when i was gettin my car NCT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

newband wrote:
    it doesn't improve anythin except the speed at which your battery runs dry?
    Having your headlights on does not cause you battery to run dry unless you leave them on when the engine is off. In this case it will cause the battery to run dry whether it is day or night.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i always drive with my dips on!!! my dad is a driving instructor in the army and when he was teaching me how to drive he would always get me to turn them on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

magpie wrote:

How are sidelights for parking?
    Whats your definition of sidelights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

its definitely easier to see a car if it has its dipped ligths on in my experience.
    as was metioned - silver cars in the rain is one example.

i find that with a quick glance in the mirror you would spot a dipped headlight without paying much attention, whereas a neutral color car might take a split second longer to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

magpie wrote:
    Those are parking lights. Turn on your dipped headlights.

Simple rules people:

1) Always have your dipped headlights on. This avoids those, "is it dark enough to need headlights" moments that result in idiots in silver cars driving around invisible in heavy rain etc. I'm sure this doesn't apply to any of you, but it takes away the burden of responsibility from those incapable of exercising it properly.
    3) Don't turn on your foglights unless it is foggy. Turn them off again as soon as visibility improves.

The reason why Saabs and Volvos have them on permanently is because that is the law in Sweden.

I agree totally and always used dipped headlights. There's nothing worse in murky weather then having 'ghost cars' appearing out of nowhere.

Side/parking lights are absolutely useless at making a car more visible during the day. Many cars only have parking lights on one side of the car too, so you end up thinking a bicycle is appoaching!

I've seen a few rare roadsigns round the country advising people to use dipped lights in the daytime. There's one on the road from Cross to Headford I think.

As for it being made compulsory - It probably will be eventually. The Rules of the Road say that dipped lights must be used in 'poor visibility'. The definition of this is not very clear but our climate is often so overcast, misty or drizzly that this surely is classed as such. Dusk and dawn are also times you should have on your dips and the number of invisisble cars on the roads as the long, dark evenings approach are increasing.

Most bikers keep their lights on full-time nowadays and they certainly are easier to see on the road.

Any increase in fuel consumption is offset by the savings on car repairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

magpie wrote:
    So what are parking lights for? :)

I would have said it should be compulsory, but as a biker, I've heard a few reasonable arguments against it. I drive around with dipped headlight on all the time. It improves my visibility - essential on a motorbike.

However, if it become compulsory, then everyone is doing it, and the "novelty" of it is lost, and I (bikers) lose another visibility aid.

The main problem with other vehicles is that when they're pulling out of sideroads, they're expecting to see a car, a truck, etc. Most of the time, they will spot a bike, but sometimes, in a kind of blindness, the bike isn't "seen", that is, they do see the bike, but it doesn't register as a "vehicle", because it's not in the criteria their brain generated when looking for a "vehicle". I've done this before myself and gotten a fright.
    However, if the dips are on, it becomes a visible hazard within the field of view that causes the brain to notice it and re-evaluate.

So if *everyone* starts having their dips on, people will become used to it, and bikers with their dips on will blend into the background again.

On top of this, people may have noticed at night, if you see a line of traffic with their lights on, you might have missed a biker in between two cars. You'd be forgiven, because the bike's lights get drowned out. Because there is only one light (essentially), and darkness interferes with your perception of distance, the bike's light can be mistaken as the headlight of the vehicle behind it, effectively creating a false gap in the traffic where the biker is.

It's been shown that DRLs (daytime running lights) can cause the same phenomenon, though not as commonly as at night.

It's a valid argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Absolutely, dipped headlights should always be used at all times. Besides being our company policy I cannot believe the fools that drive on country roads that are nearly as dark during the day, especially when raining and overtake expecting the oncoming traffic to see them well in advance...
    Having said that I think more peple are copping on to a simple "safer" driving policy... all we have to do now is to teach them to drive.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Might as well have a candle on the dash as sidelights - they are pethatic
    USE parking lights or dipped headlights

Also - does anyone know what the headlight adjuster dial is in your car?
    I know only some cars have them - BUT USE THEM - if you do
    You can point your dipped headlights at the ground dring the day

seamus wrote:
    So what are parking lights for? :)

In my car the "side lights" are the "parking lights". Maybe some cars have seperate sets of lights for both tasks, but the point is if you need lights put on your dipped headlights, adn in Ireland you need lights most if not all of the time. Unlike these people you see driving around with 2 pinpricks of light that look like a diode on each side of their bonnet at dusk. Just turn on your lights people!

As for the argument that it might make being a motorcyclist more dangerous. Well, if that's the case I sympathise with your predicament, but it's hardly grounds for discouraging car drivers to use their lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I'd say this will become law before soon and possibly a penalty points issue :(

But alas I think it is totally necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I always have my dips on during the day, it just makes it easier to spot other cars and for them to spot me. What I can't stand is the amount of spas that use only their dusk lights at night and they seem to be on the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

newband wrote:
    i'm sorry, i really dont get this.. lights on? during the day? more visiabilty? buts its DAYLIGHT!! how? why? it doesn't improve anythin except the speed at which your battery runs dry?

Next time the sun is setting behind you while driving, check out what the cars look like in your mirror. All you see is black shapes, not really being able to distinguish one car from the other. Now look out for someone behind you that has headlights on and you'll notice how much DRL's are a good idea.

magpie wrote:
    As for the argument that it might make being a motorcyclist more dangerous. Well, if that's the case I sympathise with your predicament, but it's hardly grounds for discouraging car drivers to use their lights.
    Interesting twist on words. "If this makes your safety measures less effective, then that's your problem for choosing that method of transport".

DRLs won't save the lives of any car drivers.

If this makes your safety measures less effective, then that's your problem for choosing that method of transport

Erm, yes? Your point being?
    DRLs won't save the lives of any car drivers.

In that case why the campaign to encourage people to do so? In order to make it more unsafe for motorcyclists and force them off the road?

Incidentally, here's a safety tip for motorcyclists: When you're going along the canal don't zoom along a queue of traffic on the wrong side of the road and rely on car drivers coming the other way to veer into the cycle lane to allow you to whizz past with a helmet balanced on your head and a fag in your mouth. Then maybe you won't need the increased visibility of only you being allowed to use dipped headlights during the day.

(and yes, I'm sure there are responsible motorcyclists like you who obey the rules of the road yadda yadda yadda. I just don't nearly have head on collisions with them every day of the week as I'm trying to get to/from work)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

woody wrote:
    I'd say this will become law before soon and possibly a penalty points issue :(
    They have a lot more offences to get pushed through first before they start worrying about lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

MrPudding wrote:
    Having your headlights on does not cause you battery to run dry unless you leave them on when the engine is off. In this case it will cause the battery to run dry whether it is day or night.

MrP
    Just to add to this. If your headlights are running down your battery then your alternator is banjaxed. But you probably know that anyway as you were only able to start the car a few times before the battery went dead! :D

I was surprised to see the comment that headlight usage reduced efficiency by 3%. I would like to see data to back that one up. I would believe it for something like air-con but the I am less sure about headlights.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    Erm, yes? Your point being?
    Never mind, see below
    Incidentally, here's a safety tip for motorcyclists: When you're going along the canal don't zoom along a queue of traffic on the wrong side of the road and rely on car drivers coming the other way to veer into the cycle lane to allow you to whizz past with a helmet balanced on your head and a fag in your mouth. Then maybe you won't need the increased visibility of only you being allowed to use dipped headlights during the day.
    I'm not going to bother. Clearly you see motorcyclists as nothing more than a pest who are a danger to themselves. 70% of motorcycle accidents are caused by the driver of the car.

Advertisement