Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANyone read graphic novels aka comics?

Options
  • 25-04-2001 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Well i do, my current favourites are Dark Minds, 100 Bullets, Warlands and i have a collection of more mainstream comics like Fantastic Four and X-men comics.

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda, SCUMM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yep! Currently a fan of Kia Asimaya's Dark Angel series, and also following a variety of other serialised ones such as the Fushigi Yuugi mangaka, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's Evangelion serialisation, and anything done by Mamoru Shirow smile.gif

In terms of western stuff, J Michael Straczynski's Fallen Angels is superb, even if it IS a bit difficult to find frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Comics do rock various parts of my anatomy. Currently reading 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan etc. Although i miss Preacher, it made me go a big rubbery one. Someone recommended a series called Torso to me as well, which i must check out..

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I have 'The Crow' from J O'Barr.I'm not really big into them,but I loved the film and so bought this.I'm really impressed.Its interspliced with poetry and ramblings throughout,touching smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Preacher, V for vendetta and Watchmen are the only ones I've read. All brilliant.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've go on at length about V for Vendetta on these boards (probably the greatest graphic novel I've read or heard of).

However I have read a lot of others too. Currently I'm reading Usagi Yojimbo and if you haven't heard of it, get a copy its a bloody good read as well as an entertaining one.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Batman forever!

Death to all pretenders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Some Sandman stuff.
    Aliens and Predator stuff, pretty cool.
    A few other old crappy things.

And this bizare comic called "Lenore" that I'm trying to get ahold of every issue of...
    It's a sick twisted blackly funny collection of little stories...

"Childhood Memories." - When I was young I nailed my hand to my knee...
    I walked funny after that...

Really sickeningly funny...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I take it Asterix doesn't count. No ..
    oh well.

Did read a graphic version of "Guards, Guards" a while back (vg).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i used to read alot of x-men comics in my secondry school days (all 3 years ago smile.gif)

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I read the excellent "Dark Knight Returns" earlier this year - get it if you can. I also read some Sin City stuff.
    All done by a guy called Miller (I think his first name was Frank). Well good - I loved the Dark Knight one - (a quite elderly) Batman takes on Superman and, well, I won't spoil it - a great scrap!
    It also reminded me of an episode of the Batman Beyond cartoon where old Batman was wearing the same powered suit he used to fight Superman. Continuity baby - I love it!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 23-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Dav... Grab a copy of Batman Year One. Make sure you also get the Vampire Otherworld series.. Fantastic read.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    All done by a guy called Miller (I think his first name was Frank). </font>
    Yup his first name is Frank. Changed the way Batman has been written since then...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

all this talk of comics reminds me of the one's i used to read as a child, they were pritty old, dammit can't remember the name of them now, they had different series which started with "revenge of the ...", i think one of them was Lion / tiger?? confused.gif

anyone know what i'm on about???

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

Doonesbury ... Bloom County ... Tintin ... Alex ... Celeb ...

... Dark Knight Returns, when it first came out ...

... Tank Girl, ditto ...

... some 2001 AD stuff, like Dredd, Anderson, Halo Jones. Rogue Trooper too ...

... the're a Dan Dare one I can never remember the name of ... kinda sorta stars Maggie Thatcher (it's of that era) ...

... Ghost Rider ...

... Frank Miller's Hard Boiled series ...

... a norn irn set one, Troubled Souls ...

... recently, a couple of Alan Moore ones, Tom Strong and Promethea ...

... Ghost World and the Jimmy Corrigan book ...

... plus, of course, Transmetropolitan ...

Advertisement