Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America vs Europe

• 12-11-2004 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Found this while browsing the yahoo office attachments

http://www.netcartoon.net/naaas/doquiz.php

It's a quiz between the two continents, but the best bit is the forums, my god the views of some of the people over there is warped.

I got 15 out of 20, the questions are fairly easy.

so far europe are ahead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

16/20

Go rest of world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

20/20-pretty easy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

20/20-pretty east stuff-Americas average is pathetic considering how many of them did the quiz so far!

explain to me why their average score should go up the more that do the quiz?
    i dont understand the logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Completely pointless. The questions are general knowledge, they have nothing to do with intelligence. Also, some of them are very obscure - meanings of foreign words??

Must have been written by an American... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

13/20.

But that said, this image took the sites limited credibility away for me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

tuxy wrote:
    explain to me why their average score should go up the more that do the quiz?
    i dont understand the logic

You're totally right it makes no sense whatsoever-me and my maths-got a d3 in ordinary level maths in the junior and leaving cert so its never been a strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I got 12/20 but some were lucky guesses.
    There are a few trick questions, like "What country is Hitler From?"
    It's not Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

13/20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

14/20 a load of crap tbh

17/20 finger slipped on the mouse *honest*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Blisterman wrote:
    I got 12/20 but some were lucky guesses.
    There are a few trick questions, like "What country is Hitler From?"
    It's not Germany.

That's not a trick question... everyone knows it was Iceland

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

but the best bit is the forums, my god the views of some of the people over there is warped.

i think anyone be them american or european that take part in those kind of conversations are idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

18/20 ****ed up on the english question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

16/20 but there were two that I knew after I clicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

18/20. Didn't ask me where hitler was from, so I guess it asks different ones each time.
    I think the quiz is a good enough idea. It doesn't relate directly to intelligence, but anyone who genuinely thinks that Americans are less intelligent is stupid anyway. The usual criticism of them is that they are uninformed, particularly about the world outside of America, and that is exactly what the quiz tests.
    The results page was typically American too, in that it was very encouraging and complimentary. It wouldn't be like that on an Irish site like that. Irish people are a bunch of begrudgers often with big chips on the shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

18/20.....****ing bronte sisters...can never tell what each of them did. as for the inventor of tv....pfft? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

16/20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I read the site some more. its a complete p!ss take based on riling Americans.

It is a bit like a quote from John Cleese: "In a party say out loud to a friend 'The problem with women in general is they take everything personal' and your guranteed that a nearby woman will say no we don't".

The joke is the Rile. Its comical that a large number of them don't realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

You answered 18 questions correctly out of 20.

couldnt think what countrys borded iraq and cant remember the other one i got wrong :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

got 13/20 the first time and 19/20 the second time, so its completely random questions(and hence scores) tbh

some of the posts on the forum from americans are hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

16/20
    You have an impressive understanding of the world for an American. It is likely that you feel intellectually isolated in your home country, and often have to hide your opinions from others. Deep down, you realise that your country is the single biggest threat to world peace in modern times, but you have not yet summoned up the courage to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

16/20. General knowledge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You answered 19 questions correctly out of 20.

A very good score. You obviously know a lot about the world and its history.

In all honesty, its more general knowledge than anything else- definitively not a measure of intelligence by any means.

I'm really quite surprised that the average scores are only in the 12-13 range.....

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

smccarrick wrote:
    I'm really quite surprised that the average scores are only in the 12-13 range.....

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

20/20, though had to think really hard about the how long does it take the earth to orbit the sun, had a feeling it was 365 days, but in the back of my mind there was a little voice screaming 24 hours 24 hours, i went with my gut instinct though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

smccarrick wrote:

S.

10/20 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

NotMe wrote:
    10/20 :o

see, mammy was right, leaving school at 5 was a bad idea mmmkay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

17 out of 20.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The americans average is 93.7% of the non-US one
    Does this means americans have an average IQ of 94 ??
    It looks like America came in a very respectable second in the competition. Well done to all those Americans who contributed to this remarkable achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

18/20

Some of those are ridiculously easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The americans average is 93.7% of the non-US one
    Does this means americans have an average IQ of 94 ??
    No. IQ 100 is the average American, thats what the definition was based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

20/20 - had to beat two of the Irish guys on this post that I know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

15/20 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Victor wrote:
    No. IQ 100 is the average American, thats what the definition was based on.

Yes and the average Irish one is 93, funnily enough. Like I said, this test does not measure IQ, and it is ridiculous to suggest that Americans are stupid.

http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement