Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Adams dies of heart attack :(

Options
  • 12-05-2001 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Author Douglas Adams, who wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, has died suddenly aged 49.
    Mr Adams died on Friday morning in Santa Barbara, California, following a heart attack, said his spokeswoman Sophie Astin. </font>

(Taken from BBC News Online)

I was sitting with the guys developing the new H2G2 game only a couple of weeks back talking about what he was going to work on next and being advised not to ask him about why he picked "42" when I met him at E3 next week. Spooky. I've always wanted to meet Adams, ever since I read H2G2 when I was ten... I guess that's one more childhood idol I'll never get to meet.

One of the true comedic and satiric geniuses of our time.

"So long, and thanks for all the books"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Always admired the man and loved his writings. Would have loved to have met him and knocked a few thoughts and ideas off him...

Rest in Peace Douglas. Enjoy your meal in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe! So long, and thanks for all the memories.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

This is quite a shock...

I've actualy spoken to the lad a few months ago, and my father has met him...

Before he wrote HG2G Douglas Adams was a musician, known as Duggy Adams, and quite a few months ago it was discovered that my father (who is also a musician) was the owner of a wanted guitar (Interpol and the Guardai were looking for it) that belonged to Duggy Adams...

My father had owned this guitar for over sixteen years, that he had bought in England off a "Johnson & Jones" Musical store... He was very unaware of what was to happen...

The guitar was worth around £12,000 and had been missing for all those sixteen years... Eventually it was traced to our house, and, much to my fathers dismay, he had to hand it up... Douglas Adams was so happy to get it back he compensated my father with a Guitar Replica of the original, that Douglas had made all those years ago to replace the one he had lost... But come on... Dad never knew about the guitar, he cherished it like a child... And then, one day he recieved a call stating that the guitar belonged to another man, and that it had to be handed up, or it would be "Removed" from him... Was quite a shock, and I nearly died when I discovered that the owner wrote the acclaimed "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy"

Douglas recieved his guitar back, yet it had an extreme sentimental value to the two of them...

I remember Douglas ringing the house looking for my father, and we briefly chatted for a while... He seemed a top bloke... And now I find this thread frown.gif

He'll be well remembered...
    All the good die young, as they say... It is such a shame that such a talented man had to pass away so soon...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sad to hear of his passing - enjoyed his "Dirk Gently" series and pity he did not write more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This is a great loss, Douglas Adams was an absouletly brilliant person and its very tragic to see him go before his time - especially with the upcoming movie, game and various enviornmental projects he was contributing to.

Ever since I read the Hitchhiker's Guide I've had huge respect for him, he was a true comic genius and inspired many people. May he rest in peace.

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Another dead hero...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

One of the funniest men who ever lived. From the radio series of Hitchhikers, to the books, to the Dirk Gentky series, he was a mad surrealist with whimsy to match it. And he never gave away the recipe for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster either.

RIP.

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

I'll never forget when Dirk Gently broke his nose...

Sadly missed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 OmegaDude

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by plastic membrane:

And he never gave away the recipe for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster either.
    </font>

I am pretty sure that he did, it was one of the first things mentioned in the book.....hmmm an excuse to go and reread it. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OmegaDude:
    I am pretty sure that he did, it was one of the first things mentioned in the book.....hmmm an excuse to go and reread it. smile.gif</font>

oops, silly me !

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Amazing it is, how after many years of hiding in dusty high shelves, Hitch.. has suddenly reappeared in display units all around the bookshops...

Sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nesf:
    Amazing it is, how after many years of hiding in dusty high shelves, Hitch.. has suddenly reappeared in display units all around the bookshops...

Sometimes..
    </font>

have to admit, i havent seen my copy of hitch on any shelves in bookstores? mine is still hinding on my dusty shelf thank you very much

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

Advertisement